Casement sash replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I have to replace one sash in two different casement windows. I was trying to make some adjustments to one of them when I disassembled it a bit too much and the sash fell out and the glass cracked. The other sash just developed a crack all by itself. The one that hit the ground had bent hardware so I ordered new parts. They're vinyl.

Any recommendations for a place where I can just buy the sashes? I figure HD is one option but I'd like options. Thanks

I have to replace one sash in two different casement windows. I was trying to make some adjustments to one of them when I disassembled it a bit too much and the sash fell out and the glass cracked. The other sash just developed a crack all by itself. The one that hit the ground had bent hardware so I ordered new parts. They're vinyl.

Any recommendations for a place where I can just buy the sashes? I figure HD is one option but I'd like options. Thanks
The above post is correct; all window manufacturers are proprietary, and they also often have their own custom hardware. SWISCO and Truth Hardware are two of the most common hardware manufacturers in the industry.

You will need to know the window manufacturer, and depending upon the age of the product, you may be able to find the manufacturer's logo in the bottom corner of the glass, embossed on the operating crank, or if it was a new construction unit, installed in a new home, you might be lucky to find a sticker on the header at the top of the frame or top of sash. Without knowing the manufacturer, you may be out of luck and you will need to replace the window unit all together.

I have truth hardware but couldn't find the window manufacturer's name. So I couldn't go to HD with the measurements for a vinyl sash, pick a manufacturer and order it unless it was the entire window?

Does the glass look replaceable?

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
The bottom piece of hardware you see in the pic was what got bent when the window fell. I ordered a replacement but as you can see it hinges at a different point creating a different angle. As long as I have matching hardware at the top and bottom of the sash, despite being slightly different than the original, do you think it will still operate properly?

Attachments

• ww.jpg
    ww.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Wasn't sure how to edit my last post but this is how it should read:
The bottom piece of hardware you see in the pic was what got bent when the window fell. I ordered a replacement but as you can see it hinges at a different point creating a different angle. Despite being slightly different than the original, do you think it will still operate properly?

Back