Cast iron drain: is the pipe or the joint more likely to fail?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the trap in my basement floor drain. While I'm there I need to replace at least some portion of the cast iron pipe.

Is a pipe or a joint more likely to fail? Or is it a toss-up? Should I leave an old joint or make effort to replace it? Since it is against a Y, I'd have to take the joint apart - if I cut/snap above the joint, there will only be an inch for my Fernco.

Its difficult for me to see the underside of the pipe and joint, but they generally look to be in good condition.

It may be just me, but if I'm looking a house to buy and see it has cast iron drains or steel supply lines I deduct what it will cost to replace all of them off the asking price.
They rust out and close up on the inside and even with a camera there's no way I know of to know when there going to fail, but do know they always do at some point.

It may be just me, but if I'm looking a house to buy and see it has cast iron drains or steel supply lines I deduct what it will cost to replace all of them off the asking price.
They rust out and close up on the inside and even with a camera there's no way I know of to know when there going to fail, but do know they always do at some point.
So are you suggesting that while I have a portion of the basement slab open, I should replace all of the old cast iron pipe?

That's what I'd do, replace it with PVC and never have to deal with it again.
If you already have it open it's fast and cheap to do.

That's what I'd do, replace it with PVC and never have to deal with it again.
If you already have it open it's fast and cheap to do.
I appreciate your advise.

The floor is not quite that open... I have access to about 5' of pipe next to the floor drain, the rest of the pipe is still resting comfortably under my slab and ~18" of clay and rock. I can open about 8' while tunneling under a wall to get to a down-pipe from a bathroom.

So soparklion11 - what did you end up doing? Do you find anything interesting? How much did it cost?

Duck

Back