Cat Litter Disposal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I have one cat using clumping litter and I am concerned over disposal of clay based litter. Some say bury it in my red clay subsoil but I get tired of digging holes. Some recommend using chicken feed as litter which clumps, is cheaper than litter and is compostable. Whatever I choose must be fine enough to work with my lifetime stainless steel scoop. Any suggestions out there?

Definitely put it in the trash. Clumping stuff will clump in your sewer lines, not good. Meat-eating animal waste shouldn't be composted. When we had cats we just bagged it up in the plastic bags our newspapers came in and tossed it in the trash. It could probably be composted commercially, as the temperatures reached in large volume commercial piles will kill any parasites or pathogens, but home composters don't typically reach those kind of temperatures.

I found a good report on using 16% layer crumble poultry feed. It's lightweight, clumping and compostable. I checked my local TSC and it was listed at $11.99 for 40 lbs but not available. BTW when I say compostable I don't mean to imply that I will use the compost, I just want it to return to nature in my 5 acres of woodland rather than paying for it to go to a landfill. As for biological hazards, much less than neighboring cats that drop by to use flowerbeds near the house.

Back