Cedar planks for lawn edging?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverSword

Reaction score
I need to edge my lawn to create a separate space for flower beds. There are threads about plastic edging, but I wonder if I can just use standard 2" x 6" Cedar planks for this.

Any ideas on whether this makes sense or how to do it?

Cedar is a soft wood, weed eater string and lawn mowers will chew into this. Look into using composite decking 1X6's. You can find a good deal at salvage stores.

Your going to need a means of keeping it from pushing up out of the ground.
This is my biggest pet peave about plastic or any other type of edging.

I need to edge my lawn to create a separate space for flower beds. There are threads about plastic edging, but I wonder if I can just use standard 2" x 6" Cedar planks for this.

Any ideas on whether this makes sense or how to do it?

Sure. Cedar planks make a good looking edging. The only problem you'll have is providing for curves. I've handled this by making cuts on-half way through the boards one quarter of an inch apart. This seems to allow the planks to bend in gentle curves that suit flower beds.

I installed scalloped concrete edgers, approximately 24" long by 10" high. They look good, I spent much time to get them level and plumb, made a rock garden on the south side of my house 2 feet out from the basement wall and the length of the house. I lined it inside with landscaping fabric and them covered that with white landscaping rock, approximately 3-4 inches deep. Now, after one winter, the edgers have tilted out, no longer plumb. I wonder if water or snow caused the rocks to expand out, pushing on the inside of the edgers, thus causing them to lean out, or tilt.
I need to replumb these edgers. Do you think I need to replace the white landscaping rock with something less likely to cause this disturbance?

I hope my description is clear enough.

I installed scalloped concrete edgers, approximately 24" long by 10" high. They look good, I spent much time to get them level and plumb, made a rock garden on the south side of my house 2 feet out from the basement wall and the length of the house. I lined it inside with landscaping fabric and them covered that with white landscaping rock, approximately 3-4 inches deep. Now, after one winter, the edgers have tilted out, no longer plumb. I wonder if water or snow caused the rocks to expand out, pushing on the inside of the edgers, thus causing them to lean out, or tilt.
I need to replumb these edgers. Do you think I need to replace the white landscaping rock with something less likely to cause this disturbance?

I hope my description is clear enough.
If you didn't supply your edgers with a solid base, then frost may have forced them up. Even a small edge wall needs a solid foundation of stone and sand.

Back