Cedar Shingles and Open Valley

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jslemko

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the cedar shingles on a small addition at the back of my house. I have never shingled with cedar before and am unsure of the proper procedure for shingling valley's.

I am planning on using a prefinished (black valley) and ice/water shield under the surface, however I wasn't sure if I should be using a line of roofing tar beneath the shingles on the valley or if this is needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot for your help, I will look through this tonight.

I'm confused, that's my normal state, but are you going to have an open valley or a shingled valley? Are you using shakes or shingles?
If this is your first time, an open metal valley is probably easier. A W valley would be best, it has an inverted V in center, not only does that alleviate water running across valley and under shingles, it helps you center it in valley. Here's a pic and some more instructions on installing. Note that shakes and shingles need different widths of valley and under flashing.
http://www.cedarbureau.org/installation-and-maintenance/roof-manual/page-10.asp

Back