Ceiling fan height

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unbrokenspark

Reaction score
So I installed a flush mount hunter ceiling fan in the bedroom then I measured the blades and it’s 80 inches from the floor... is this fine? I read nec pretty much says follow manufactures instructions. Options are to leave it. Replace with light fixture and just use a fan.

It's a little low but unless you are 6'6" or taller I would leave it.

It's a little low but unless you are 6'6" or taller I would leave it.
Okay I’m 6’1 wife is shorter than I. Didn’t know if the height code is really strict? There is another fan that’s low when I bought the house well 2 really so must not be a concern? There was no ground so I might add a dual arc breaker at some point

How low is your ceiling? I have 8' ceilings on the second floor and my blades are 85" off the floor and mine's not even a flush mount fan.

There may be some stronger requirements in a commercial setting and if there are not there maybe should be.

My opinion in your own home if it looks ok and you have a need for the fan and will quickly learn not to put your arms in the air when its running. I have hit them before and it smarts a little and mostly scares you when you get hit by one with wooden blades.

We have 3 in our home and they all get used.

Bud's right. It's your house and if you need a ceiling fan then you need a ceiling fan. You work with what you have and sometimes that means putting a ceiling fan on a low 7 1/2 foot ceiling. As long as the fan is over about 6 1/2 foot then you can live with it unless you are really tall. You might consider running the fan at a lower speed, just in case you reach up by accident.

Bud's right. It's your house and if you need a ceiling fan then you need a ceiling fan. You work with what you have and sometimes that means putting a ceiling fan on a low 7 1/2 foot ceiling. As long as the fan is over about 6 1/2 foot then you can live with it unless you are really tall. You might consider running the fan at a lower speed, just in case you reach up by accident.
Thanks for the comments. I’ll either leave it or going to move the ceiling fan downstairs and replace a fan that looks dated. For the bedrooms just run fans. One child friendly and maybe a Dyson like tower one for us.

Last edited:
In my current house, I've installed 6 ceiling fans and replaced the one in the master bedroom. 3 in an in-law apartment, and 3 in bedrooms. With all of these, I either had to replace the box that was there or drill a new hole and install a box. I've been using these:

Fan box

Because I have access to the attic. These also allow me to drill a hole for the box using a hole saw, and then take a piece of wood and the box into the attic, mark where the hole goes on the wood, install the box, then install the wood piece between the joists. I also create an air sealed box around this by routing wire through the piece of wood, attaching a second wood piece a short distance away between the joists, spray foaming holes and edges, sealing around the box itself with fire-rated caulking, and any penetrations into the box with the same, filling with insulation, adding a drywall cap (which can be unscrewed for access, if desired).

Those boxes are also old-work compatible, so you can take off the old box for the crappy light fixture in the middle of the room and drill this box in. Some tips: screw the screws in and out of the plastic, and place them at starting depth. This makes it easier to start. Put the box into place and use a screw driver to start the screws into the wood, then back them out again to switch to a driver. Use a socket instead of a Phillips bit.

Last edited:
Back