Ceiling fan hum & clicking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
We have a ceiling fan in the bedroom we hardly use because it's so loud. Constant hum (enough to be annoying on low setting, intolerably loud on medium and high settings) and even once you acclimate to the hum there's a rapid clicking rhythm, constantly changing time signature so if you're musically literate it's especially distracting.

What's wrong with the fan? Are these signs it's about to die and needs replaced? Or is there some simple kind of fix? What other info can I provide...it's installed on a regular flat ceiling (not vaulted). It's always made this noise as long as we've lived here but it's our first summer in the house so now the fan becomes more important and we'd like to use it.

It could be the fan motor causing the humming. The clicking I am not sure of.

I think the best way to attack this would be to just replace the whole unit with a new one. I don't think it is the electrical connection at the fixture box or the switch box causing this issue but the fan unit itself.

Since it is not on a vaulted ceiling and you can reach it safely with a ladder I think it best just to replace it.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to start looking for "new" fans used or at auction!

I would not suggest you buy a used one nor one at an auction. Used ones can have issues and ones purchased at auctions could have issues. My boss bought many electrical items at auctions and most of the items could not be used. Ceiling fans, spot lights, over stove hood - he is a landlord with many properties.

Ceiling fans are not that expensive. Go to HDepot or Lowes and price them out. Buy it and install it; if it does not work or issues return it for free to get another one. You can't do that with auction or used ones. This is an electrical appliance - don't play games with used appliances if the price is low enough. Here is a ceiling fan from HDepot $59

1623698951344.png

Back