Ceiling Fan Light Kit installation - question about the white wire(s)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLaurus

Reaction score
I am installing a new 3-bulb light kit onto my existing Casanova Ceiling Fan. The light kit instructions direct the white wire (light kit) to be connected to the white wire in the fan switch hub. But the switch hub has two white wires coming out of it, connected to each other with a wire nut. Can anyone tell me how to connect the white wires in this situation? Ceiling Fan Wires.jpgCraftmade Light Kit.jpgThanks!

Attachments

• Casanova Ceiling Fan Wiring Instructions.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Craftmade Light Kit Installation Guide.pdf
    412.6 KB · Views: 0
Since, as general rule, the conductors for these add-ons are stranded, you tightly twist the individual strands together to form a more stable group, then remove the wire nut joining the whites, then twist all 3 whites together, and reinstall the wire nut.

It is probably not relevant in this situation, but be aware that even “neutral” white wires can give you a shock.

Always turn off the breaker or pull the fuse for any and all circuits that might be using those white wires.

More than one circuit can be sharing the same whites, and when you separate them, you can get a shock, or you can destroy equipment or electronics that were on the circuit path that you just interrupted.

This is mostly occurring in a junction box or switch box or outlet box, but can also be found with two or more whites joined together in a fixture.

Ask me how I know! ⚡

Back