Ceiling fan light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdeal1

Reaction score
The light will just randomly turn off. I replaced the light kit last year and it worked fine. Now it’s doing it again. I called hunter and they said I need a new wiring harness. So I ordered it. The light is on a dimmer could this be the culprit? How would I know because once I turn the light off and back on the light comes back on.

Could be a number of things.

Is the dimmer a slide wall switch, is it remote and programable, do both light and fan fail simultaneously, what type of lamps are you using?

What kind of bulb (wattage and type (LED, incandescent, CFL) are you using in the fixture? If LED is it dimmable and is the dimmer LED compatible?
Do you have a VOM or voltage tester? If so, do you have power at the box in the ceiling? If so, do you have power at the light kit?

On recessed cans there is often a thermal cutout that will open if the fixture overheats from having a bulb that exceeds the rating. These will trip, and once the fixture cools back down the light will turn back on, only to trip again a few minutes later when it overheats again. I've not seen it in ceiling fans, but that isn't to say there aren't some that have it.

You can not have a dimmer switch on a motor.
The light kit can be on a dimmer as long as there is a separate line for the fan itself. They did/do make variable controls for fans. I tried one on my bedroom fan two houses ago. It didn't work well, the fan would hum if not fully on. I took it out and haven't used once since. This was over 25 years ago. I just use the pull chains to adjust the speed on my fan now.

I've used the fan/light remote that controls both the fan function as well as the light function, several times, without issue.

To eliminate the dimmer as the problem, remove the dimmer and put in a normal light switch. Then you can see if the light is working properly. If the light works properly, you may need to get a different dimmer that's compatible with the type of light on your fan

Could anyone recommend a tester to check for power? I googled it and there are a metric ton of options

You just need a simple (VOM) Volt Ohm Meter, which are available from any hardware vendor, or Amazon, from around $7 and up.

The one I use is over $100.

You could buy a "Wiggy". I bought mine 20 years ago for about $15. It is an AC tester with two 30-inch probes/leads on one end and the body on the other. Here's a photo...

Wiggy Voltage Tester.jpg

Hunter told me to replace the wiring harness in the fan ? They don’t even have a light kit available to replace. Why would that fix it

Because the wiring harness may be faulty.

With you meter you can determine in there is voltage present.

With the switch on, you measure from the blue lead to the white conductor in the ceiling box, and it should read 120V.

Update. Just replaced the wire harness instructions matched up u till it was time to remove the wire harness from the housing there was an extra white wire in a wire kit with all the wires from the light kit that wasn’t accounted for in the instructions. Cut it removed the old harness installed new one as instructed everything works fine what is the extra white wire thoughts ?

Without a photo or more information, I would have simply connected it with the other white conductors.

Original and what I cut, I think

Attachments

• ED4A9890-F578-4D07-A38A-1CAA8F9B4072.jpeg
    ED4A9890-F578-4D07-A38A-1CAA8F9B4072.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 5
  • C2F37B39-D509-4DE8-9BFF-0790AB1309FA.jpeg
    C2F37B39-D509-4DE8-9BFF-0790AB1309FA.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Not sure what i'm seeing but looks like the white wire goes into the white wire nut.

Put a wirenut on it, or elec. tape an see if it works,

Upon taking it back apart I found that there was not an exposed white wire I must have missed that part after I cut it on the small box it had went into a connector like the one on the red wire and didn’t realize it was secured with the other white wires :(

I’m a rookie sorry forst time doing anything wire related.

Back