Ceiling Joist Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiejr

Reaction score
The ceiling in my attached garage is dipping at a seam in the sheetrock. It started gradually, and now is dipping probably 1.5"-2". I suspect the 2"x10"x20' joist is cracked. Is there anyway to brace this with a new joist? A contractor said he would have to take down all the garage door bracing, springs and motor, do the work in the attic, then put the garage door stuff back after the repairs are done.

I'm looking for a "Plan B." He wants about $2,500 to do replace the joist.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If the garage has a flat roof you don't have many options. If it has an attic with access you might have other choices.

If there is no bridging between the joists, use a lally column to temporarily straighten the broken joist and then slip a new joist endwise into the roof next to the broken one?

Posting photos and drawings from several angles may reveal more options.

Also, get enough bids so they cluster around a price; typically 5 will do.
In this dot plot

http://www.google.com/imgres?q="dot...=197&start=0&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:148

they cluster around 0.3. Yours may cluster around several hundred dollars.

Hopefully the $2500 is an outlier on the high side.

Last edited:
The quote of $2500 for sistering in one joist is out of line. As others have suggested, get a few more quotes. If nothing shows up more reasonable, consider doing it yourself. Tricky part will be getting a one-piece, 20' member into place without cutting a hole in the roof. Make sure to ask everyone giving estimates how they plan to accomplish that.

Back