Ceiling light blinking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgy

Reaction score
My bedroom light is a ceiling fan and light fixture. The wall switch is set up where I have one switch to turn light on/off. The other switch is a switch/dimmer all in one for turning the fan on/off and speed control. We don't care about the speed control as we can do that right at the fan if needed. The light fixture sockets are the E12 size (small) for candelabra size bulbs. I don't like them as not enough light. I just installed E12 to E26 converter adapters and screwed in E26 size LED bulbs. The bulbs are much, much brighter but they blink. I know the blinking is due to the dimmer control. Not all dimmers work with LED. Does anyone know if I can or how I can disconnect the dimmer switch power so that it doesn't interfere with the light? I tried the adapters in another ceiling fan light and they work great. That fan doesn't utilize a dimmer switch. Thank you.

You say this, "The other switch is a switch/dimmer all in one for turning the fan on/off and speed control.", and then this, "That fan doesn't utilize a dimmer switch.", so which is it?

Snoonyb I was referring to a 2nd fan in another room as a comparison when I said "That fan doesn't utilize a dimmer switch." Sorry for the confusion on that. I will replace dimmer switch with regular switch to see what happens.

I better show you this first to better explain. So the light switch is on the right and you can see the dimmer slider. The fan switch is on the left and that also has a dimmer slider. Bud so do you feel I can still replace the switch on the right with a regular single pole switch? Maybe I will just replace both switches with single pole switches, would that work?

Attachments

• Light switch.jpg
    Light switch.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 4
I would just change the light switch. it is possible that you are getting cross talk from the other switch but highly unlikely. Start with the offending switch and see what happens. Unless you have no use for the speed control on the fan and then change them both.

Back