Ceiling light install

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this ceiling light that I am installing has 6 arms, therefore it has 6 black and 6 white wires to connect. It came with connectors to use, and they were easy to use, however; I can not figure out how to get everything tucked into this small compartment in order to thread the "bolts" to attach it to the ceiling. Should I just cut these wires shorter so that there is less mess to deal with? I'd love to finish this in the morning so that I can move on to something else. (Or could I use electrical tape to tape them to inside of fixture? Which would be best to do? Or does one of you have a more brilliant plan? Because I am sure someone does lol20221031_202550.jpg

Strip each conductor at least 1" and twist together.

Or you could use 2 reds;

So you have the neutral from the hot pair, 3 of the fixture and a 6" jumper, under a red wire nut.

The other end of the jumper & 4 of the fixture, under a red wire nut.

The same for the hot.

I gave up on the light, part of the ground wire broke off (in the ceiling), the mounting bracket is crooked and I was madder than a hornet. So, I gave it up. Going to try to find an electrician for the other problem and see if they can install this and maybe all the ceiling fans I have left to install.... we shall see

Anyone know the size of the posts? I am going to call a couple of electricians tomorrow, spent several hours with my best friend today....

However, I am unconvinced that someone will actually show up. Also..... what can I do with the ground wire if noone shows up, because it is hard to cook with no light in the kitchen 😒

20221102_203421.jpg

The ground wire is only for safety concern it's not part of the working circuit and only has to go to that green screw. I was raised in a house with no grounded fixtures or receptacles. My SS Jenn Air cooktop has the neutral connected to the chassis. I think my neutral is used only for the fan and the indicator light.

Last edited:
I like the connectors that your fixture came with. I use them all the time. They should be a little smaller than a traditional wire nut. Easier to connect multiple wires also, then a traditional wire nut. You could cut the wires a little shorter, though I would not recommend that. I like your idea of using electrical tape to tape the wires down to the back end of the light (after they're all connected together of course). Neatness is your best ally. The ground isn't 100% necessary. However, you can extend the wire by pigtailing a piece of ground onto it to make it longer. Of course this would take up more room.

For extending the short wire and where it is tough to get much space to work, I recommend what is called a "butt splice". They come in both insulated and non and either will do fine for the ground as it gets tied to the metal plate anyway.
The butt splice is just a metal sleeve or barrel of metal that the wires fit in each end and then it is crimped/ crushed down to hold the wire. Different sizes to fit different wire size!
No high tech tools need as it just needs to be chushed hard enough to hold. Vise grips if on hand? A large set of pliers if good hand strength for squeezing?
I might crimp three inches of wire on , wrap it on the screw and tuck the rest up in the hole!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-20-Count-Butt-Splice-Wire-Connectors/999953042

Ok, so.... while I liked the connectors A LOT.... I just couldn't get the light installed with them so I ended up using wire nuts (including the ground wire) instead..... I think was still difficult, but the good Lord above provided. Once I get the other issue fixed and have more light over the stove, I will adjust the arms to be a little more uniform.

Thank you baby Jesus for helping me get that done.
20221103_140113.jpg

Ok, so.... while I liked the connectors A LOT.... I just couldn't get the light installed with them so I ended up using wire nuts (including the ground wire) instead..... I think was still difficult, but the good Lord above provided. Once I get the other issue fixed and have more light over the stove, I will adjust the arms to be a little more uniform.

That's a neat fixture. I have never seen one like it.

You were way past the point to mention it but there may have been a way to help yourself on the space to push things back into the box.
No idea of how that fixture is built but it may have been possible to take the metalplate off the box, run the wires up through that plate, connect them and push the connections and wires up into the box, before then putting the metal plate on the box.
My thought is that there is likely to be a fair amount of space up in the box for those big connectors and then put the light on the plate.
The connectors put up in the box instead of between the metal and the light? Does that seem right?
Not betting too high on that as I can't see the way things are made for you to use!!!

Thinking it may have been SOOO much fun, you want to do it again tomorrow!
Shoot me now or shoot me later?

There wasn't enough room up inside the actual box for more connectors.... this particular light is on 2 switches.... one entering kitchen/dining and then another by the slider.... idk why they chose kitchen light instead of dining room light to put on the switch by the slider.

And no... I will not be doing this particular one again... lol

Another problem was that the actually light box in the ceiling was crooked.
All is well currently...

Now I just need an.electrician to call back/ show up and check out the wiring for the rangehood, so that I can turn the breaker back on. If I could easily get in the attic myself, I could check it out.... but I can't.
Thanks for the idea though. I appreciate you

View attachment 28882
That’s quite the light.

The good part is if you are like me these projects sometimes seem rough while doing them and then a month later you forget the effort it took and it seems like nothing.

Good job we know what went into it for you. :thumb: :thumb:

Those were excellent connectors. Many electricians are switching over to those and doing away with the twist on. Glad you got it done.

I think it's time to update electrical box design. Plumbing and electrical seem to have been stuck in the past but plumbing is beginning to modernize. I don't know what a modern electrical box might offer but I know that it would have to be easier to install receptacles and fixtures than the current approach .

While I was trying to shove things in the box, I was wondering who was so small minded that they chose to design the boxes so shallowly..... maybe I am being small minded, idk. But it just seems silly to have such a small area to put multiple stiff wires in.

Back