Ceiling Sag

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soparklion

Reaction score
The Ceiling in my 120 yr old frame house is sagging - a total of 10 cm from the level of one of the chimneys. I removed the 120 yr old plaster and lathe. Is plaster or drywall more appropriate to replace the ceiling and walls? I fear that the plaster would crack with continued settling/sagging, but I've also shored up the foundation so I don't think that it will sag much more, AND the plaster would be more forgiving for the uneven beams and wall studs. I plan to sell in ~5 years.

So, Plaster or Drywall?

I would plan on using drywall and with the money you save, buy a table saw and cut strips to apply to the studs to bring them closer to lining up.

I've found it to be a whole lot faster and come out smoother if I hand pick 2 X 4's and sister them to the wall studs instead of trying to shim. I set the studs into the bays then attach two rows of string to the outer studs to use as a guide to set them to.

Thanks - I do plan to sister the ceiling joists. Other sites speak difficulty drywalling such an old house due to uneven walls and recommend plaster. My plasterer's quote was actually 1/2 of the drywaller's quote - due to the reduced prework required.

Should I be concerned about the house settling more and cracking the plaster?

There should be 0 settling going on in a 120 year old house. If it's still moving then there something else going on.
Some of the most common issues will be rotting rim beams. failing piers, not enough piers, to long a span on the floor joist, fungus or insect damage under the house, poor dranage around the foundation. I personaly have never found an old house like that with out at least one of these things going on. Most of the insect damage will be in the area caused by added on decks, additions, mulch pilled up againt the foundation, no gutters or stoops installed tight up againt the foundation.
Any local exterminator can do a free inspection for you. I stongly suggest not using Terminx or Orkan.

Back