Ceiling Screw pops/Joint Seams Showing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSNMM1989

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Ok so I'm pregnant and my anxiety is through the roof (thank you hormones!) and one of my BIGGEST fears is failing drywall ceilings. We purchased a townhouse about 4 years ago and I'm starting to notice some bulging, perpendicular lines across my ceiling (which based on my paranoia research is a tape joint showing through??- excuse my ignorance I am NOT a contractor). I'm noticing in the same are some popped screws. Is this something to be worried about, or is it mainly cosmetic? I dont see any signs of water damage. Please see photos for reference, I apologize for the unclear images it was hard to catch the pops and seams in that specific lighting. Also, there are more screw pops then this, the lighting wouldnt let me catch them but they are quite prominent. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 3- 5 popped screws.jpg
    3- 5 popped screws.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Joint Seam 2.jpg
    Joint Seam 2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211129_181036 (2).jpg
    20211129_181036 (2).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 11
Welcome.
The simple repair is to add more screws and secure those that have "popped". And for the tape joint, cut it dia. across and apply a new piece, slightly overlapping the ends and tool to finish.

Welcome.
The simple repair is to add more screws and secure those that have "popped". And for the tape joint, cut it dia. across and apply a new piece, slightly overlapping the ends and tool to finish.

Thanks for the feedback! Is this something that I should be worrying about in terms of collapse? Or is this cosmetic?

It is 99.9% cosmetic and a sign of a poor quality mud job. For every screw you see popping there are a dozen still holding fine. Likely your construction was a truss roof that the bottom of your truss supports the ceiling. Then above the drywall was a layer of insulation added keeping the lower truss member closer in temp to the house and the upper members get much colder in the winter and contract at a different rate than the ceiling. This slight movement pulls and pushes on the drywall and cracks form and a few screws pop. You may fix it and it will stay forever or you may get re-pops or new pops. Sometimes you get cracks around where the walls meet the ceiling as well.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the baby. Don't worry too much I think you are ok. :coffee:

Its not in the potential for collapse, and doubtfully will ever be. At this point it's an addition to the list.

It is 99.9% cosmetic and a sign of a poor quality mud job. For every screw you see popping there are a dozen still holding fine. Likely your construction was a truss roof that the bottom of your truss supports the ceiling. Then above the drywall was a layer of insulation added keeping the lower truss member closer in temp to the house and the upper members get much colder in the winter and contract at a different rate than the ceiling. This slight movement pulls and pushes on the drywall and cracks form and a few screws pop. You may fix it and it will stay forever or you may get re-pops or new pops. Sometimes you get cracks around where the walls meet the ceiling as well.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the baby. Don't worry too much I think you are ok. :coffee:

I cant tell you how much relief i feel reading this response! Even the baby kicked with joy haha! Thank you so much I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!!

Its not in the potential for collapse, and doubtfully will ever be. At this point it's an addition to the list.

well that is very good news for my raging hormone anxiety haha thank you so much for your help!!

I cant tell you how much relief i feel reading this response! Even the baby kicked with joy haha! Thank you so much I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!!
If you were my sister she would have replied why only 99.9% does that mean I have a .1% chance that my ceiling will fall. LOL.

She is much older and not having a baby by the way.

If you could see the house we moved into 8 years ago that the ceilings were really falling and the trick was to not be under the area that would fall next. It would make yours look like the Taj Mahal.

Keep us book marked you never know when something will pop up.

If you were my sister she would have replied why only 99.9% does that mean I have a .1% chance that my ceiling will fall. LOL.

She is much older and not having a baby by the way.

If you could see the house we moved into 8 years ago that the ceilings were really falling and the trick was to not be under the area that would fall next. It would make yours look like the Taj Mahal.

Keep us book marked you never know when something will pop up.

:LOL:I would be lying if I said i did not fixate on that .1% LOL!! its been a fear my whole life- ever since my dad put up the basement ceiling in their house when i was 10. I can't explain it, such a weird phobia. I definitely will book mark thanks so much!

Back