cement block-condensation/sealing questions?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shahomy

Reaction score
Greetings Forum,
I built a new unattached garage last fall, 24x28x10...and it`s built into a hillside. 2 of these walls are cement block and actually wrap around into the other 2 wooden walls. Atleast half the block walls are underground/buried(also,block is unfinished and no gutters on roof) .My problems are with the parts of the block wall that are above ground. I have 2 problems with this setup...
#1- when it rains, water splashes up and leaks through to the inside...not a lot, but depends on the amount of rain, could be 2-4 blocks wet in spots at the dirt line/grade-which is about the middle of the wall, height wise.
#2-condensation...when it`s cold outside and warm inside,(from wood stove) the walls(above ground) will sweat.

I`m hoping for one solution to cure both...
I`m also hoping not to do anything to the inside of the block wall- paint or drilling a jillion holes and attaching furring strips and vapor barrier, insulation...can i just do something to the outside?
I`m guessing paint or thoroseal or drylok would take care of the rain splashing up and leaking through...but would these products insulate enough to stop the condensation? I`m not worried about losing any heat, just want to stop the condensation...
Anyone have similar situation?...will paint work?

Thank you,

With out insulation the water will alway condence on the cold concrete. Sealing the outside may stop water from getting in, but it is the moisture in the inside air that is condencing on the wall or you would have it below grade also.

Latest posts

Back