Cement, Concrete, or Asphalt?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

woodyG

Reaction score
I have a very old driveway that's gone from gravel ( 1860 ) surface to cement panels to the current asphalt surface. I'm seeing cracks on the surface, some 1" to 3" wide x 1.5" D, various lengths. Can I use cement to fill the cracks, concrete, asphalt crack filler ( last choice )?

Thanks

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Welcome.
Bagged asphalt patch is readily available.

woodyG

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion . . . I'm pretty sure asphalt won't fit into some of the cracks. I'll probably go with the cement.

Sparky617

Reaction score
For the narrow cracks you use an asphalt patch/sealant that comes in a caulking tube. It may be time to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. Post some pictures.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
Around here asphalt is often put down as a base and then tar and chip is done as a sealer and in the future as needed tar and chip again. There are a few places with smaller equipment that will do residential driveways.

In my experience once asphalt starts to go and if you live in a freeze thaw area you will be chasing the problem every year.

The suggestion to take it out and start over is good but expensive. Cracked up as it is I think is still a good base for an overlay material.

I have never had good luck with the cold patch asphalt bagged stuff, but again we live in a northern state with rough winters.