Ceramic tile on old pier and beam house?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYZombie

Reaction score
Hi there! I own an old home built around the turn of the century. It has been updated quite a bit through the yrs but someone put carpet in the bathroom which IMO is NOT a good idea. I like the look of tile but I've been told not to put tile on pier and beam because it will inevitably crack. Is this true
Ithis true?

Hay; Zombies are always welcome.
I guess that rule is for a house that has a habit of moving because of poor footings or soil conditions. If the plaster is cracked all over the place or evan a few cracks that change from time to time. If not you may not have a problem with that but you do want to check the floor joist height and span and weight for others to weigh in here.

Hey Zombie,

Homes built like yours can be tiled, all depends on how ell it's built. How about you tell us. That method is popular on the left coast, lots of them have tiled floors.

weight for others to weigh in here.

Huh? :eek:

Jaz

Hey thanks for the quick reply! I think the house has good bones. The house does have cracks but I've lived here about a decade and I have not seen them get any worse. I know the foundation is a little off. You kind of walk downhill toward the back of the house. No change in ten yrs. I did however rip some old paneling off the front room of the house and hang drywall I have recurring cracks in. I think that was poor workmanship. I started the job with a buddy at the time who said he knew how. I found out quickly he did not. Those cracks in drywall are above the window and below window. Fix and they reappear in few weeks. I was told this may be because I used mesh tape and not the conventional paper. I also used premixed mudd.

Your drywall should not be cracking, premixed mud over mesh tape should have been fine. I think the rest of the house has to be considered

Latest posts

Back