Ceramic Tile over Vinyl flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on the foyer...with the finished kitchen/eating area in the background. Finished laundry room is on the right.

DSC_0032 Small Web view.jpg

Stove, dishwasher, center island, table & chairs have now been put back in the kitchen. Just waiting on the refrigerator! It's starting to feel like home again.

More photos to come...after the tile is done we move on to hardwood flooring!

Lookin good !!!!!!!!!

thx for the pics

Is that detra I see?

Yes he is referring to the orange stuff - DITRA.:)

Lookin' Good Kitty.:)

Yes! We used Ditra. It was a little more expensive than cement board, but it was soooo much easier to work with! By the time we factored in our sweat and possible doctor co-pays, we decided to go with this stuff.

It's been very easy to work with and has done it's job. Without it, the tile would have been an easy 1/2" higher than the rest of the surrounding flooring.

Tile is a lot of work, but definitely worth the outcome. We plan to finish laying it out today so we can finish grouting tomorrow.

The kitchen heat vent is a problem. We can grout right up to it, but then that eliminates any way of removing it easily. We cant cut out an opening above it and raise it as it's already as high as it can go. The only thing we can think of is to look for a smaller vent register, or cut one to fit.

Anyone ran into this before?

DSC_0038 Small Web view.jpg

I can't really see the vent style but don't trap it in there please.

You can take it to a welding shop or machine shop and have it cut down maybe. They may have to cut both the top and bottom flange so as to save the mechanism but I'm sure it can be done successfully.:)

Hey Kitty, that looks like a 4" X 12" standard floor register. There is a 2" X 12" toe space register available which works great for kitchens. I think it would solve your problem.
Glenn

We decided to put grout in front of it. We've never had to remove it in the 16 years we've lived in the house so probably won't have to take it out. If we have to, we can remove the grout and it will come right out.

Latest posts

Back