Change from 220V to 110V (& Gas line install)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staceybiomed

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my house ready for switching from an electric range to a gas range. The electric range is currently hard-wired to a 220V line. The new gas range will require a 110V outlet and there is already a 110V line running up to the over-the-range microwave oven. I am also having a plumber run a gas line from the basement to the kitchen.

I got a quote for $775 from a plumber (who also does electric) to run the gas line (about 20 ft total line), disconnect the electric range and install a junction box for the 220V line, install a 110V outlet, and pull the necessary permits. I almost had a heart attack when I saw this since most electricians gave me quotes of $175 and another plumber said $190 for the gas line.

Does this seem reasonable for the Philadephia area?

Use one of these for the electrical from Home Depot.

Woods Gas range adaptor

15752.17_4.jpg

That device must be made in china! How the hell does the other end get changed to a 15 or 20 amp single pole breaker? further more, that is for a 4 wire plug. Does the o.p. have a four wqire plug? and will someone stick a volt meter in the wall and tell us is it 110v? or 120v? here in the u.s.
To do the work mentioned, and have it done by a licensed contractor, who is also purchasing the neccessary permits, I would say your are getting a good honest deal. Good luck on your project....

That device must be made in china! How the hell does the other end get changed to a 15 or 20 amp single pole breaker? further more, that is for a 4 wire plug. Does the o.p. have a four wqire plug? and will someone stick a volt meter in the wall and tell us is it 110v? or 120v? here in the u.s.
To do the work mentioned, and have it done by a licensed contractor, who is also purchasing the neccessary permits, I would say your are getting a good honest deal. Good luck on your project....

It has a 15 amp fuse built into it. I don't see why it would be unsafe.

Back