Change header over window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverrat

Reaction score
I have an existing window. There is a 2 x 8 x 36 inch header. The header is supported on each end by a king stud running from floor plate to ceiling plate and a separate trimmer stud supporting the header giving me a RO of 33 inches.

I want to install of replacement window which has a RO of 36 inches wide. This means I would have to cut out and remove the trimmer studs on each side.

Basically the header would only be supported on each end by the king studs.

What I would like to do is add an extra king stud on each end and nail a metal plate which would span the edge of the two king studs and overlap 6 inches onto the existing header.

Essentially, the header will only be supported by the fasteners and the fasteners holding the metal plate.

Will this work?

The only other option I can think of is to use a piece of 1/2 plywood and nail it across the entire face of the header and the edges of the two king studs.

Will this work?

If I use the plywood method, this will create a finish work problem but I can work around that.

Thanks

The window is in an addition which has a shed roof. It is a single story.

Hello RiverRat:
InspectorD has it right, if you use the engineered plates according to instructions you won't have any problem.
Glenn

Back