Changing floor trim

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottH

Reaction score
(If this post should be under Walls or another category, please let me know.)

I'm taking my first DIY stab at changing the clamshell-style trim on my main floor, as it's old and doesn't match the trim on the second floor.

I used a trim-removal tool to pull off the old trim, but it was brittle and left some pieces behind.

What's the best way / tool to remove the rest of the old trim and prepare to lay down the new?

Thanks so much!

fFbmTfp.jpg

That trim was installed before the flooring was installed.
The way I do it is first cut the trim at the floor line with a Toe Kick saw standing on end, then remove the trim.
Now your stuck having to use a wide wood chisle to split it.
Do not waste time trying to remove all of it below the flooring, it just needs to be at or slightly below the flooring.

Last edited:
Would a chisel be the only way? Could a multi-function tool to the job well?

The Zenith Industries tool is what I used to remove the original trim. Perhaps I didn't use it correctly.

Quote from post #3;"Drive the tool into the molding, inset the 1X under the tool and pry the molding up. The 1X protects the flooring from damage."

The pry bar is longer so that will afford you greater leverage.

Will a multi tool do the job, yes, will it take all day and smoke up the house also yes.
Great tool, wrong job for it.
Any of the suggestions so far will work.
I've worked on this exact issue dozens of times on older houses.
Went head to head with someone with a flat bar doing one room, I was using just my Toe kick saw, I was done before he could get 1/2 way around the room.
Unless you've worked on just older houses for 15 year you do not know all the tricks and I'm still learning.

Back