Changing trusses to regular attic

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello my name is Jordan I am just building a new house right now and I am kicking myself for not doing attic trusses in my 30 x 30 garage with a 912 pitch, The house is not finished yet and therefore the ceiling of the garage is still open, I was thinking to do the same, Add to buy 10 bottom cord to the Truss, and also run a continuous 2 x 10 up the A-frame of the truss as a rafter, I would also build a new wall on either side of the finished future room, I would possibly even add collar ties to give it additional strength, Does anyone have any photos and or recommendations

Hello my name is Jordan I am just building a new house right now and I am kicking myself for not doing attic trusses in my 30 x 30 garage with a 912 pitch, The house is not finished yet and therefore the ceiling of the garage is still open, I was thinking to do the same, Add to buy 10 bottom cord to the Truss, and also run a continuous 2 x 10 up the A-frame of the truss as a rafter, I would also build a new wall on either side of the finished future room, I would possibly even add collar ties to give it additional strength, Does anyone have any photos and or recommendations
Talk to the truss company, expect them to say no, absolutely not. And believe them. Unless you are willing to remove the roof and install a new one.

I'm trying to get clear on what you want.

You have a 30x30 ft garage with a roof, but no ceiling. You want to add a ceiling.

Just spit balling, add a load bearing beam down the middle, put up ceiling rafters. There's the hard part.

If you can accept a post at the center of the load bearing beam, basically dead center of your garage, that would simplify the load bearing beam. It now has two 15 ft span instead of 30 ft.

Back