chimney repair or removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to damage shingles no matter how careful your are. Get some shingles to match when the chimneys done. Roof repair is s piece of cake compared to the chimney chase.

There is also the (Hold my beer and watch this method.) I’m not saying I would recommend this but watched the Amish take down a two story chimney in about 30 seconds. No beer involved. :hide:

Chimney comes down, damaging a few shingles so you re-roof the house. There's a hole where the chimney used to be, so you re-side the house. There's a hole on the inside so you sheetrock & repaint the room. New paint makes the flooring look bad, so you install new flooring. The new room is beautiful, so beautiful that the adjoining rooms look dated. On & On it goes. :trophy:

Not trying to drain your wallet, it's just the image that popped in my head when I saw your story. Slow day here I guess. :):)

Chimney comes down, damaging a few shingles so you re-roof the house. There's a hole where the chimney used to be, so you re-side the house. There's a hole on the inside so you sheetrock & repaint the room. New paint makes the flooring look bad, so you install new flooring. The new room is beautiful, so beautiful that the adjoining rooms look dated. On & On it goes. :trophy:

Not trying to drain your wallet, it's just the image that popped in my head when I saw your story. Slow day here I guess. :):)

That’s called the butterfly effect or we used to call it snowballing. With me it doesn’t even take a job like the chimney. I can be asked to take down a picture on the wall and then the paint faded and the nail made a hole. Next thing I know I’m buying 600 sq ft of new carpet. :help:

That’s called the butterfly effect or we used to call it snowballing. With me it doesn’t even take a job like the chimney. I can be asked to take down a picture on the wall and then the paint faded and the nail made a hole. Next thing I know I’m buying 600 sq ft of new carpet. :help:

Yes, I did the same thing myself. We bought an old house. I was supposed to remove the wallpaper in the kitchen while my wife went shopping. When she got back the wallpaper was gone, but so was the plaster & lath along with some walls. That was 30 years ago. We are still working on it. The original house consists of the north & west walls and a little bit of the original roof. Everything else has changed. The house is a little over double the size of when we bought it, along with a couple good sized out buildings. In my defense, I run a business out of our house. That excuse has caused us to expand to (and maybe a few sq. ft over) our max allowable building allowance. Sure has been fun though.:banana: And We're getting it pretty close to how we want it now.

It all depends on whether you can restore the chimney walls yourself. Given the condition of your chimney, I would demolish it altogether.
You are responding to a 5 year old post. I hope by now they have resolved the issue.

Back