Cinder block foundations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fill the holes with crumpled up newspapers to keep the mortar from falling down deep inside. The trowel on a layer of mortar over the blocks, filling in the holes and forming a slope away from the house. So at the narrower blocks have it come up an inch or so and taper it down to nothing at the edge of the lower blocks. That way it will shed water away from the house.

You can also build up the earth around your house with it sloping away from the house to keep rainwater out of your crawlspace.

Well, like I said there is some concrete in the holes. There has never been any water under the house as of yet.

Sloping away from the house is a good idea.

Not just that, it's now code-required for new construction here in 3/5 of the jurisdictions I work in. IIRC you must have at least 4" continuous fall away from the house in every direction over a 6' distance. Doesn't always look good on hilly sites, but it works good with our sometimes super-heavy summer storms.

Phil

Not just that, it's now code-required for new construction here in 3/5 of the jurisdictions I work in. IIRC you must have at least 4" continuous fall away from the house in every direction over a 6' distance. Doesn't always look good on hilly sites, but it works good with our sometimes super-heavy summer storms.

Phil

Most of our new houses are mountain side now so it is near impossible but is always a good idea.

For sure on a house like this where you don't know what they did for drainage and no water proofing.

Back