circular saw difficulties

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a skilsaw circular saw... and when I was trying to cut through the first sheet of flooring in my bathroom a few weeks ago it wouldnt go... there was no spinning action as soon as the blade hit the wood..... I thought that maybe it was too loose.. so I tightened it... no too tight though.... still wouldnt cut... any ideas?

Hey Gal: Being a nurse is awesome. Sounds like the blade isn't attached properly. Check manuel or take it back where you bought it for some help.

This will happen if the blade is loose. if thats not the case then it could also be defective. If new return it. If old....

if the blade bolt is tight and blade doesn't spin with motor then you might be missing a washer under the blade or above the blade. Check the owners manual if you have it.

Shan,
There are 2 main types of circular saws available. On either type, there is a gear case between the motor and the blade shaft.

One type is called a helical or worm gear drive saw. The motor shaft sits perpendicular to the saw shaft. The helical gears are the weakest point in these saws and the saw will act exactly as you describe when they are damaged. These saws are certainly worth repair but it can be more expensive to repair than an inexpensive saw.

The other type of saw is what we normally see, the motor shaft runs parallel to the saw's blade shaft. The gear case drops the blade shaft lower in the case so you can make a deeper cut. These saws can also act exactly as you described when there is gear damage. If this gear case gets damaged on an inexpensive saw, It's a good excuse to just replace it.

Check the owners manual and confirm that your washers are in the proper location as Handyguys suggested but be ready to budget a new saw if you can't make the old one work.

Yup, broken.:(
But put it in a yard sale, some guy like me will fix it for a demo saw. That's where we really give it a last workout.;)

The new saws are fine too. They will have a new straight fence and other accessories. Plus buyin new tools always get you feelin good about your next project.

ok... I will check this out next week when I have a few days off..... thanks for all the replies.. the saw was cheap $30..... I think that the place I bought it still carries them... I bought it last summer and just used it for maybe an hour.... so i will check it out.. and then maybe return it or get a new one... it was pretty cheap anyways.....

I have a sears circular saw. It vibrates when the blade is on. I have tried several. It doesn't vibrate without a blade. Why would that be?

Google sears saw parts. It's likely the bearing or bushing on the shaft that holds the blade.

Thanks but why would it vibrate with a blade and not vibrate without a blade?

If you can do your own repairs it might be worth looking at, the parts are available. Sometimes a seised bearing can spin in the housing making the saw trash anyway.

are you sure the blade isn't installed backwards ? Remember that a circular saw cuts on the upstroke ( for want of a better word ) If the blade is put on backwards, it will still cut but hard and slow, you also can knock off the carbide teeth, and if not carbide, burn the teeth, as well as knock it out of balance

Back