Cleaning and Painting Aluminum Siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Miller

Reaction score
I need to clean and paint our aluminum siding. Wondering what is the best cleaning product and paint to use?

Do you have to hand wash the area or can you just use a pressure washer to do it?

Is the paint on the siding now chalky? If you rub your hand across it do you get paint on your hand? I'd probably use a garden sprayer with a solution of TSP (available in the paint section of your local home improvement store, or paint store) and then powerwash it. Then use a paint recommended at the paint store for aluminum siding.

Is the paint on the siding now chalky? If you rub your hand across it do you get paint on your hand? I'd probably use a garden sprayer with a solution of TSP (available in the paint section of your local home improvement store, or paint store) and then powerwash it. Then use a paint recommended at the paint store for aluminum siding.

Yes it does rub off on your hands.... Thank you.

Over the years I did a few with chalked siding. After a thorough powerwashing to clean all the nooks and crannies, check again for chalking. If the chalking is still present, you will need you will need to rewash using a bristle brush and detergent to mechanically remove the chalking. Don't skimp on the prep or you risk adhesion failure in the future. I found that two coats of a quality exterior soft gloss such as Benjamin Moore Moorglo gave the best results.

Back