cleaning concrete floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geneaqueen

Reaction score
We had a slow leak in the plumbing in our basement (unfinished) which we thought at first was just a damp basement. That has now been fixed, but in the meantime, a layer of mineral deposit (probably calcium) has formed over the concrete floor. The house is around 100 years old, so the concrete is definitely not new, and quite porous. I've looked at several products/methods for cleaning this up, but most seem more appropriate (application-wise) for outdoor use, or use rather hazardous chemicals. Does anyone know of a safe method for cleaning this up? Thank you.

(And yes - many lessons learned over the course of this 'adventure' :rolleyes:)

Yes, that sounds exactly like what I can use. Never considered vinegar for it, although I use it for darn near everything else, cleaning-wise. :eek:

Thanks so much! :D

If vinegar doesn't work for you and you want to be a little more aggressive yet not too noxious of a chemical a generally available product called CLR may work for you. Get the concentrate in the gray bottle, not the spray on stuff. You can find it at home centers, hardware stores or even the grocery store.

Oh, thank you. I'll check that out as well. The sooner I get it cleaned up and sealed, the better I'll like it. :D

Actually, I'd go with Tri-sodium Phosphate (TSP) or a mild mixutre of muratic acid.

Unfortunately, these are the types of chemicals I had looked at, but deemed too hazardous. Thanks for the suggestion, however. :)

vinegar IS an acid,,, even w/muriatic cut 1:8, we'd use vinegar,,, we do use tsp on occasion to prep a conc floor before acid staining, tho.

eg, this is acid stain, not an overlay.

4931 after.jpg

Back