Cleaning outdoor light sockets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
We have a large outdoor chandelier type light, over our front porch. It is covered, but there is damage to the sockets as far as corrosion and a little rust. I noticed a few of the bulbs were out, so when I removed them I found the corrosion on the bulbs and the sockets today. What’s the best way to clean those sockets to get the corrosion off there? Can I use the electronic connection cleaner that you can buy in a spray can and maybe a brass brush?
I didn’t get a picture of the sockets themselves, but they basically look like the corrosion on the picture attached of the lightbulb.
42260D48-9463-4304-B14D-0ECC6DA53FD1.jpeg2C1D2279-5D36-4758-96F9-897D0AC87E95.jpeg

FluidFilm is a non conductive lube I use for lots of things and I spray it on my car hitch connector for lights. I have never used it on outdoor lights but would think it would work.

Make sure the power is off and then spray some lube in and go at it with a small wire wheel or maybe the wheel first and then some compressed air and then the lube.

Ok thank you for the suggestions. One more from me, shouldn’t these be exterior use bulbs? They’re just normal LED bulbs, and I know when I replace our large motion light bulbs, I have to get exterior “grade” ones. Like I mentioned, the light is under the front porch cover, but obviously moisture is getting down in there causing the corrosion and one bulb actually had the bottom of it in such bad shape it was broken in the socket.

I'm not inclined to use an expensive, directed product, but use just standard with the fluid lubes suggested.

Ok thank you for the suggestions. One more from me, shouldn’t these be exterior use bulbs? They’re just normal LED bulbs, and I know when I replace our large motion light bulbs, I have to get exterior “grade” ones. Like I mentioned, the light is under the front porch cover, but obviously moisture is getting down in there causing the corrosion and one bulb actually had the bottom of it in such bad shape it was broken in the socket.
Unless the bulbs are directly exposed to weather, standard LED bulbs will suffice. Don't overthink the cleaning process. A small wire brush alone will likely do the trick. Contact cleaner is an overkill, but will certainly help if you already have it on hand. Follow cleaning by any lube rated for electrical contacts or bulbs to mitigate further corrosion.

Last edited:
FluidFilm is a non conductive lube I use for lots of things and I spray it on my car hitch connector for lights. I have never used it on outdoor lights but would think it would work.

Non-conductive = will not conduct electricity. Unless electricity has changed over the last 75 years...

Non-conductive = will not conduct electricity. Unless electricity has changed over the last 75 years...
That's correct and the reason you wouldn't want a conductive lube that would cause shorting. The contact connection wants to be metal on metal and the screw thread action and the tip pressure will provide that. The lube is to remove and prevent corrosion that interferes with the contact.

To maintain the hard cleaning work that you've put in, I respectfully suggest that you wipe a very thin coating of zinc based anti-oxidant paste on the bulb's threads and put a tiny dot on the center contact. Make sure there is not so much that the paste on the shell will bridge to the button when screwed in. You only have to do this treatment once. The paste will remain next time you re-lamp. The paste not only prevents galvanic corrosion, it seals moisture out.

This is common practice in industry for screw shell lamps of all types. (Indoors, too) It is ubiquitously used for metal halide, mercury vapor & sodium lamps installed base-up to prevent seizure to the shell due to extreme heat. Pin and wedge contact bulbs also get the treatment.

The anti-oxidant pastes with zinc & castor oil work best. The zinc enhances conductivity. Castor oil conducts well.
Penetrox is one brand with zinc. Ideal NoAlox is another. NoAlox is often sold in small tubes at big box hardware stores. It'll be in the electrical aisle.

Do Not use auto part store "Dielectric" paste. It increases electrical resistance.

Paul

PS: Denatured alcohol on a cotton swab is a good cleaner for corrosion on brass lamp shells. With it, there is no chance of abrading the plating off of the shell. Let it evaporate before energizing the fixture. (It is the main ingredient in off-line contact cleaners.)
If alcohol fails, what the others mentioned about brass brushes is great. Don't be aggressive and abrade away the plating.

Thanks for sharing your tip for cleaning outdoor light sockets! Applying a thin coating of zinc-based anti-oxidant paste to the bulb's threads and center contact is a great way to prevent galvanic corrosion and seal out moisture. It's interesting to hear that this practice is common in industry for various types of lamps.

Back