Cleaning paint off asphalt

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailor86

Reaction score
I made a foolish mistake and washed my brushes and rollers at the curb. Lo and behold, there's a large white trail leading to my mobile home and I need to find a way to clean it up. What does anybody recommended?

Is this white latex paint or white oil based paint?

Because of the way latex paints form films, if you washed latex paint out of the brushes, then the white water that may have dripped out of the brush afterwards is NOT white paint because it won't have any coalescing solvent in it. So, the white drops will dry to form a white powder that you should be able to remove with a scrub brush.

Ditto for oil based paint. If you washed the brushes out with mineral spirits, and dumped the mineral spirits down your local sewer, then there won't be enough alkyd resin in the white drops to form a continuous film. What you're likely going to get there, again, will be a white powder that you should be able to scrub off with a brush. Your neighbors are going to think you're a jerk for pouring that dirty paint thinner down the storm drain tho.

If you have trouble getting either one off with a brush, then heat them with a propane torch to soften the "paint" and scrub it off with a steel wire brush.

PS: Next time save the mineral spirits you use to clean up oil based paint. In a few days the pigments will settle to the bottom of the mineral spirits, and you'll be able to pour the clear mineral spirits off. Actually, that liquid will be yellowish and clear. It'll be a solution of alkyd binder in mineral spirits, but it can still be used for cleaning paint brushes and other dirty tasks, like cleaning up after changing the oil in your car, etc.

Last edited:
The bulk of it was water-based primer. The rest is latex. I'm finding that a bottle of dawn, a scrub brush, and the water hose does a pretty good job.

The dishwashing liquid and the scrub brush worked pretty well on the concrete, but not making much of a dent on the asphalt itself. Will a pressure washer make a difference?

The Pressure washer and a stiff wire brush should finish the job.

Back