Cleaning the valley of a metal roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. We may know each other. I'm in west central Ohio ... company is Isaiah Industries. I attended Bluffton College back in the day.
Guess wrong Todd Miller. Mine was around Delta Ohio and a neighbor way back. Around mid 60's now, had an auto repair business but just shut it down for failing health. Lost his phone number, don't know exactly where he lives now, if still alive. I need to look him up again. I looked through Bluffton/college while passing by area to Lima about 5... no... P T Cruisers were just coming out... guess it was 21 years ago !!! LOL !!!

Last edited:
My roof is a low sloped roof.
That's a good thing for climbing on it and walking but also why things don't slide off as much with the rain. Although, wet leaves soak up water like paper to an extent and stick to stuff instead of sliding off. Falling on your *** on a roof and sliding is no fun-- I should know. LOL. That was before I got shoes with better grip. Good thing I grabbed the hex screw tops to catch myself. Being on the roof is not so bad when it is dry. It's the getting on and off the ladder at the top that I had trouble with. If I hadn't borked both my ankles I could probably still climb up on the roof.

That's a good thing for climbing on it and walking but also why things don't slide off as much with the rain. Although, wet leaves soak up water like paper to an extent and stick to stuff instead of sliding off. Falling on your *** on a roof and sliding is no fun-- I should know. LOL. That was before I got shoes with better grip. Good thing I grabbed the hex screw tops to catch myself. Being on the roof is not so bad when it is dry. It's the getting on and off the ladder at the top that I had trouble with. If I hadn't borked both my ankles I could probably still climb up on the roof.

I have a spot that is at head height. I could put a ladder there and not be concerned with getting on or off the roof.

Guess wrong Todd Miller. Mine was around Delta Ohio and a neighbor way back. Around mid 60's now, had an auto repair business but just shut it down for failing health. Lost his phone number, don't know exactly where he lives now, if still alive. I need to look him up again. I looked through Bluffton/college while passing by area to Lima about 5... no... P T Cruisers were just coming out... guess it was 21 years ago !!! LOL !!!
Haha. I hear you. Time flies. Thanks for connecting!

I have a spot that is at head height. I could put a ladder there and not be concerned with getting on or off the roof.
I don't like those first steps off/on to a ladder. The lowest part of my roof is in front of the garage. When I had my small pickup I could park it there and set a stepladder in the bed sideways so that I could step on to the roof w/o going around the ladder, or sit on the roof and do a couple of backward butt shifts to get away from the edge before standing (or even crawl on to the roof). I don't like tall step ladders on the ground so I can't do that now. And that was back when I had architectural asphalt shingles.0602211130.jpg

I don't like those first steps off/on to a ladder. The lowest part of my roof is in front of the garage. When I had my small pickup I could park it there and set a stepladder in the bed sideways so that I could step on to the roof w/o going around the ladder, or sit on the roof and do a couple of backward butt shifts to get away from the edge before standing (or even crawl on to the roof). I don't like tall step ladders on the ground so I can't do that now. And that was back when I had architectural asphalt shingles.View attachment 26099

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...C8gf3BT0_Cp5UMZUYWRoCqAUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yeah, those first steps off and on the ladder are always precarious. I know they make things to help the ladder stay secure, but they tend to be pricey.

Yeah, those first steps off and on the ladder are always precarious. I know they make things to help the ladder stay secure, but they tend to be pricey.
"Only" $180!

Makes me wonder if you could fabricate something, maybe out of a couple pieces of 2x6 routed to slip over the ends of a ladder, maybe with another 2x6 connecting them near the bottom, with the upper ends carved down to handle-diameter. With the price of wood right now, that'd probably cost only $150!

Yes it wouldn't be to hard to make one. You can also incorporate a spreader bar to get a wider footing against the roof at the same time.

I wonder if there are any free building plans for them. I'll have to look around at some point. Would be cool to make it.

Latest posts

Back