Cleaning up after grinding concrete

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
I recently did a project that required my to do a good amount of concrete grinding with an angle grinder. Despite my best efforts, a lot of dust found it's way around the house. Besides vacuuming and dusting... and vacuuming again.....and again, are there any better ways to clean this up. More specifically concerned about electric and electronic equipment and power tools.

20/20 hindsight.

All work areas should have been masked off and sealed. all equipment should have, ADDITIONALLY, been covered and sealed.

Angle grinders are available with a vacuum attachment.

see my reply under tool maint, in the general repair section

I thought I was pretty careful about sealing off the area. It was a windowless room in the basement and after about thirty seconds i realized that i needed a place for the cloud to go. My workshop was the next-door room and that had an exterior door. Because it was a last minute decision, I didn't prepare that space for the dust storm. Guilty as charged:(.
My Shopvac definitely helped as I had the hose right next to the grinder, but unfortunately it bit the dust (literally, in the middle of the project) despite the fact that I stopped frequently to clean it. Went so far as to take it apart down to the motor about 3 times, but it was too much for that old machine. The dust was worse after the shopvac died.

I spent a little time before I started looking into dust shrouds for the angle grinder, and some got mixed reviews. I have a Milwaukee grinder and I found out that putting the dust shroud on it was difficult because of the way they have the safety shield attached. I definitely underestimated how much dust would be created.

When I rebuilt the house we are in and sanded drywall and floors etc. There came a time when it got too much to handle and before finish work I had to get the dust out.

I had everyone leave the house and opened every window and door put on my respirator and fired up the leaf bower starting in the attic and worked my way down.

With everyone in the yard and dust pouring out the windows the neighbor thought the house was on fire.

It got 99% of the dust out.

Latest posts

Back