Clicking switch flashing lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torebasan

Reaction score
I turned off my power in my kitchen to install a light. When I turned it back on another fixture was flashing. Once every second all lights flash on and off in unison. Meanwhile there a loud clicking sound from the light switch. There’s a little breaker below the switch that I pulled out to make it stop but when I push it back in it starts clicking/flashing again.

Attachments

• IMG_8465.MOV
    7.8 MB
First thing I would do is turn the power back off, then check all the wiring connections. I'm assuming that your new light and the lights that are blinking are on the same breaker. I don't know what you mean by a little breaker below the light switch. Can you provide more information on that?

Do you mean something like this switch/GFCI combination?

1621249429940.png

Is there a dimmer controlling these lights?

If you are mixing different types of bulbs, such as incandescent, LED, fluorescent, that will cause problems.
You usually can’t mix types on the same switch or dimmer.

And you usually need a more modern dimmer to control LED lights.

I turned off my power in my kitchen to install a light. When I turned it back on another fixture was flashing. Once every second all lights flash on and off in unison. Meanwhile there a loud clicking sound from the light switch. There’s a little breaker below the switch that I pulled out to make it stop but when I push it back in it starts clicking/flashing again.

The switch looks like this. It’s a GE smart switch

Attachments

• 6304CFBD-3DD6-4432-B85F-2408006D04C6.jpeg
    6304CFBD-3DD6-4432-B85F-2408006D04C6.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 4
Is there a dimmer controlling these lights?

If you are mixing different types of bulbs, such as incandescent, LED, fluorescent, that will cause problems.
You usually can’t mix types on the same switch or dimmer.

And you usually need a more modern dimmer to control LED lights.
Excellent point! I've had this issue when installing a new light fixture for a homeowner when they have an old switch. The switch needs to be updated and that solves the problem. Or, if you're able, put in a different bulb. Either approach may solve the OP'S problem

Latest posts

Back