Close gap near latch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgatto1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to weatherproof the entry door in my washroom area. There is a problem at the center, right near the latch/strike-plate area; the gap is pretty severe - see photos. The door seems pretty straight otherwise.

Any suggestions to close the gap?

THANKS!

Mike

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

Open the door and check the condition of the weather strip.
Grab the doorknob without turning it and try and to pull it in and out, it should not move.
If it does, open the door and use a flat screwdriver to bend the tab slightly in the latch plate.
Set at least a 4' level flat against the jamb to see if it's flat, it may have been shimmed wrong.

Has it always been that way? No evidence that it moved / changed recently? The door frame - as Joe said - could be bowed. You may be able to fix that by taking off the molding and shimming the frame a bit. A V-seal weatherstrip may be able to help a little also.

Hi Joe & SnS,

I've been here only 2 years now. It's been like that since I have been here. I think it is bowed; I checked against the jamb w/a 4 ft level and there is a gap; widest is right over the latch plate. I tried to shim the middle hinge and it didn't help much. The door is tight when closed; no play on push and pull. Might just weather strip it this year and replace the door and frame next Spring. How much do you think it would cost to have a pro to fix it? Might be close in cost to just replace.

Shimming the middle hinge, you are trying to bend the door sideways, All that has done is stress the screws on the other two hinges.
You found a warp in the frame if the gap between the door and the jam, that is fixable and may have happened if someone tried to improve security.
Newer rules require screws in the strike plate to reach the stud in the wall behind the jam. If some one did that they may have tighten them too much and pulled the jam away from the door.
The fix would be to remove the trim on the inside and shim the jam back out where the gap would be equal. If the longer screws are not there install those while you are at it and change one screw on each hinge to a longer one while you are at it.
Use a box cutter knife to cut the paint and caulk on both sides of the trim, use a small flat bar to pry the trim off. pull the nails thru the trim with pliers and you won't damage the wood.

Back