Closet in the worst place..

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vento_Dub9

Reaction score
I've been in my condo now for 2 years and this closet in my livingroom has the worst placement. I've just dealt with it but it's prohibiting me from setting up my living room the way I'd like. I'd like to put my tv and speakers in that corner. So my question, is it a dumb idea to try and get rid of this closet? I have no idea if it's load bearing, I wouldn't think it is The place is already lacking in storage space but to have functional livingroom might out weigh this.
I was also thinking, I have stairs as you can see in the pics below running behind the closet. Why couldn't I use the space under the stairs for storage and get rid of this atrocity in the way? Any help with this would be great.
Thanks for reading

32352.jpg

32366.jpg

This isn't my specialty so I'll leave the advice to somebody else, but I'm pretty sure you could get this done pretty quickly by yourself.

Storage space under the stairs would definitely open the room up.

Well, you'll also need to worry about electrical and water pipes that may or may not run through that section of your house... I've seen and heard of odd things with condos. I would contact the condo association and original builders for a layout of your unit; also make sure you're able to do this changes.

Well, you'll also need to worry about electrical and water pipes that may or may not run through that section of your house... I've seen and heard of odd things with condos. I would contact the condo association and original builders for a layout of your unit; also make sure you're able to do this changes.

The only electrical that I need to worry about is one outlet on the side of the closet and the cable outlet which will be relocated to the center of the wall. There are no water pipes running through the closet so I'm good there. I've contacted the HOA and as long nothing structural is changing then I'm good.

I've had one quote come in at $875 to remove the closet, repair everything, add a small doorway in a closet in the kitchen to have access under the stairs. I'm looking to get a couple more quotes to compare.
Thanks for the replys

That would be an easy job. I could have that wall down and new sheetrock, electrical in a day. Then float texture the next. I would try and tackle this if your a decent DIY'er.

Back