Clothes Dryer (electric) stopped running/turning

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfw

Reaction score
Ok, got a nearly 20y old GE dryer here. Worked fine for a long time. I replaced the heating element once. Today it started making weird noises like it was running fast and then it stopped. Trying to start it makes that noise that electric motors make when they don't have enough juice to turn or something is jammed.

I've opened the cabinet. The drum turns by hand with moderate effort. The "glides" that support the front are pretty worn, but not worn through. The belt looks ok and is fairly tight. So it's either the motor itself, or the drum bearing, right? Is the next step to remove the drum and see if the motor runs with no load?

Thanks!

I would pop the belt off the motor and see what noise the motor made and check that the belt tightner wheel is turning freely.

Ok, I popped the belt off the motor. Trying to start it makes the same "errrrrr" noise as before - a noise I associate with a jammed/seized motor. So, I'm guessing either it's seized inside (busted) or jammed at the front (where it turns the blower). What should I do next? Should I be able to turn the blower fan by hand now that the belt is off the back of the motor?

Thanks!

Back