Clueless girl with bathroom fan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannongirl

Reaction score
Hi guys,
you always come to my rescue so I'm hoping to get your advice.
I have this fan in a bathroom that broke. BOO HOO! I checked the power in the fan box mechanism hole and the power is OK- other things plug into it an work. so that's a plus.
But the fan motor i guess is broken. i really do not want to change the whole fan casing thingy out and I don't think I can so i was hoping to keep the old one in and just replace the fan/motor piece.
I took it out and I will try to attach photos. It is 8 inches by 7 inches. The one photo with the 8 inches is a bad angle but it is a full 8 inches on that side. Sticker on it says "HVI C-4322" and a bunch of other stuff. (the motor says Jakel Motors C-65878 but I don't want to deal with the motor by itself!)
I'm trying to find a replacement but I'm only finding 7 by 7.25 seems to be the smallest one.
Do you know how to rig that to make it stay up there. for example, I find this one: NuTone 50 CFM Replacement Motor Wheel for 696N-C350BN - The Home Depot. its housing size 8 in. x 7-1/4 in. only (not compatible with 7-1/2 in. x 7-1/4 in.) OMG! what to do? please, please help

Attachments

• 7_inch_fan.jpg
    7_inch_fan.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 13
  • 8_inch_fan.jpg
    8_inch_fan.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 11
  • hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 11
  • sticker.jpg
    sticker.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 10
I've seen drop in replacements sold at Home Depot for about $20.

I've seen drop in replacements sold at Home Depot for about $20.
Thank you. Problem is the size. can't seem to find a 8 by 7 one. The ones I find, see above please, are a little smaller so I'm afraid they won't fit and will just fall down. Is there a way to rig them into place if they are a little small without messing ti up?

Getting a new mounting plate and motor assembly still might not fix your problem.
There is usually a piece of curved sheet metal that is mounted to the top of the housing box, which the blower wheel has to fit neatly into.

So you need a plate that is the right size, and also positions your motor and blower wheel in just the right spot.

Changing the motor is pretty easy.
The plastic blower wheel just pulls off the shaft of the old motor, and the old motor comes off with removing two nuts.

There are two or three different motor shapes and sizes, just match it up by appearance and dimensions.

You can find good videos on Youtube showing how to swap out the motor.

And maybe you really will luck out and find a plate that pops right in, hoping you do!

EDIT I see that your rusty old box does not seem to have the curved sheet metal piece in your way, which makes your job easier.

Thanks Jeff!

I found a replacement size that fits - it was sooooo easy to pop one out and the other in. only it sounds like a hurricane. now i know sones- this one is 7 and it is unuseable. am looking now for one that fits that is quieter. thanks again

Latest posts

Back