Concrete bird bath

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffy

Reaction score
I have a concrete bird bath that I got from my grandma.she had it made for her some time in the 20’s it’s very heavy. I have had it since 1990 and it is starting to deteriorate it has rebar in it that is starting to show thru. I was wondering what kind of cement to coat it with? Or is there something else to use? And what kind of water prof paint or coating to go over the cement? It looks like it was painted white at some point. Thank you.

You can find Quikcrete and other brands of concrete repair products that are made for patching things like concrete stairs.

You should wire brush off all loose paint and crumbly stuff first.

And you might need to coat the birdbath with a bonding agent.

All this stuff is listed on Home Depot, Lowes, Menards websites.

Here is a video that should help.

https://www.quikrete.com/athome/repairingsteps.asp

If the repair needs to be only a very thin layer, there are Quikcrete and other products for that also.

The product descriptions will say what thickness they are for.

we're fans of cement-all & we use it frequently,,, in your instance, prep the b/b well & let wtr soak into the existing conc,,, drain of all standing wtr & apply the coating w/mason's brush,,, this stuff sets up quick so consider buying a set delay pkg at the same time/place

I'd out a rust treatment on any exposed rebar. If you don't treat the rust it will just rust more and break any patch material.

generally what bucks posts is true however, absent large chippable rust/scale, cement-all's wtrproof so expansion due to additional corrosion would not be an issue to me

Back