Concrete Counter Tops

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY_aaron

Reaction score
I'm going to be creating concrete counter tops for a family member. I've done this before but have not created them with a back splash and have a couple questions about it.

1. How thick/thin can this be? Its not supporting anything, so I don't see an issue w/ 1" or so? Is that accurate?

2. What is the best way to adhere the back splash to the counter, and also to the drywall behind?

3. All of the counters I've done in the past have been single piece. Will a bead of color matching silicone caulk on the exposed counter/back splash joint be ok to keep water from seeping back into the wall through said joint?

Thanks for any advice.
-Aaron

Check out my previous work on my kitchen concrete counters here. Visit the installation and maintenance page for photos.

I should clarify...

The back splash will be cast separate from the counter, there for requiring some way to adhere to the counter and wall, this will also allow for a thinner piece, I believe.

Thanks!
-Aaron

For the adhesion to the drywall, any good construction adhesive should work fine. As to sealing the backsplash to the countertop, I would think getting a good match to the concrete color (I am assuming your are coloring the concrete mix) could be tough, I would suggest clear silicone, in fact, you could use this to adhere it to the wall also. If your interface between the countertop and the backsplash is pretty accurate, there will be an almost invisible bead of the clear silicone remaining. Actually, use more than necessary when setting it, then use a plastic scraper to remove the excess at the joint. Once dry, any residiual silicone can be removed with a razor blade and then final clean/polish with fine steel wool.

Clear silicone it is then. I think after cleaning it up a bit very little will show.

Otherwise, if I wanted to experiment with a color match, is there a good way to dye silicone? Is that even possible? Or am I stuck with the manufactures color choices?

Thanks!
Aaron
http://www.diyconcretecounters.com

Last edited:
Back