Concrete driveway not poured in sections

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheraz

Reaction score
I got my new concrete driveway built yesterday and today I noticed that the concrete was not poured in sections. Does this impact driveway durability and life? My concern is that driveway not being built into blocks will cause any damage to spread throughout the driveway rather being confined to a single block. The driveway is like 15 ft in length and around 6 ft in width.

Attachments

• Upload3.jpg
    Upload3.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Upload1.jpg
    Upload1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Upload2.jpg
    Upload2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Upload3.jpg
    Upload3.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 18
Have it. saw cut, not all the way thru.

Should have been discussed prior to contract.

I think it's pretty normal to pour the whole thing as one piece, rake over it to give it that lined texture, then come back and score it into sections the next day after it's partially dried. Like Snoony said, they use a big circular saw to make those cuts, but they don't cut all the way through.

The idea is that the concrete is going to crack eventually, but scoring it encourages it to crack along those neat lines they cut. Ideally they cut the lines and years later when you look into one you will see a crack in the bottom.

I see the lines in your picture; that's good, those are what I was talking about, but I do not know if that is how deep they are supposed to be or if they should be deeper. I leave that to someone more experienced, or possibly a web search.

Also, it sounds like you have a pretty small driveway, shouldn't need to be scored into more than 2 or 3 sections I would think.

It looks like they struck control joints in the concrete. As Flyover mentioned the joints are where the concrete *should* crack. The other option is to cut joints the day after it is poured. If this was a large slab they'd likely put an expansion joint in as well.

Six feet is a sidewalk or a very narrow driveway.
Eight feet is a too narrow driveway for cars/pickups... should be ten feet... and in front of the garage, 2 feet wider than the garage door... otherwise you drive off the edge of it when maneuvering...

Back