Concrete Flooring???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just hope it's very, VERY long lasting.... I'd like to do this once and not have to do it again.

Think this is cheaper than going with that fake wood they have now days?

Some of that stuff is supposed to come with 20 year warranty or more

This will be a residential application not commercial

For me, residential and commercial, are just labels.

Seems like manufacturers would not want to provide their very best products for residential so they can get more sales later.

I know if the world of automotive part, many manufacturers make a cheap version and a heavey duty version and the heavy duty version is designed to last longer and normally does.

My LVP is for commercial use, with a 50 year warranty. You can't tell the difference but it is suppose to have real stone embedded in the grain. To me, it looks like typical house wood planks, but waterproof vinyl.

Attachments

• 16675218729904277375005192208832.jpg
    16675218729904277375005192208832.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
That's a very nice looking floor.

And it comes with a 50 year warranty? Does it scratch easily?

Also, is it slick? We have a couple of dogs that are used to being on carpet and when we get our house built, I'm not having carpet so I'd need something that is not slick so the dogs can get used to it

Dogs can actually hurt themselves running on slick surfaces so I'd obviously like to avoid that.

Maybe time to look into stamped floors? On new pours they can add a pattern and that pattern might make the dogs more comfortable?

No, we have had dozens of dogs here. In fact, we just dog sat our daughter's family dog. A big ol' pitbull, that I think has mental issues or its mom was a meth addict before birth. For 8 days, this dog ran back and forth across our vinyl floor, and never fell or scratched ine plank.

There is a built in grain that stops the slickness and no, we are unable to scratch this floor. I guess if you took a box cutter, you could penetrate the surface, but when it was installed, they used my De Walt Compound miter saw to cut the ends. It was an old blade, so I wasn't concerned with ruining or dulling the blade more that it was already.

So what brand of fake wood flooring is that?

I probably wouldn't want to do stamps in the concrete as that is being dependent upon the workmanship of whoever is doing that and having to keep my fingers crossed that it all looks good.

I figure having someone make the concrete flat and finishing it is easier for them to do since this is what they are most experienced at... less chance of screw ups with that verses putting designs in the concrete surface.

If I could just stain the concrete and put some sort of coating over it so it's not slick, I'd be happy. Otherwise, I'd consider some fake wood covering.

That actually sounds pretty good if the manufacturer has enough confidence to provide a 50 year warranty. I just wonder which costs less... the fake wood flooring or staining the concrete and putting on a coating to seal it

I knew you were going to ask that. I have a friend who is the VP at a wholesale flooring business, so he just hooked me up with their commercial line of hardwood looking LVP. He gave me a great deal, and I paid $75 to truck it to my house with a forklift, because I had ordered 2200 sq ft of it and that stuff is HEAVY! I then hired two professional flooring installers who did the installation. I followed behind them and cut and installed the new baseboard.

If you happen to find out what brand and model number... or however they designate the commercial line of hardwood looking LVP verses the residential line.... please let me know.

If I went this route, I'd want to do the commercial flooring... and by the time I get ready for this, I'll have a tractor with forklift attachment for the front end loader so I will have a way to take pallets off the truck.

I'm just now about to close on a few acres of land and I'm going to build a p;ole barn home so I'm planning for all this now. It' may take me 2 or 3 years to build my shop (doing this first), then the house.

So, I'm going to want to use some really good materials for things like flooring cause I want to do this stuff once in my lifetime so it'll last till I croak... after that, it ain't my problem! thumbup.gif

This wholesale company installed 400 sq ft inside their loading dock, and had forklifts running on it for about 6 months. It was to prove the durability, and it sure sold me. My recommendation is to comtact some local flooring companies, and tell them your concerns. They could easily direct you to their commercial line and get what you need.

Just wanted to say two things:

1. I'm really enjoying reading this thread. Snoony's responses are always delicious to read.

2. For people who like concrete floors, I wonder if you have considered the long-term impact on your feet/knees of walking around on that all the time. (I don't like concrete floors mainly for other reasons, but that is another one I think about.) And if you have considered it and decided it was worthwhile, what was your reasoning?

Well, that's a good point to consider.... maybe the fake wood flooring is a little softer to walk on.

Does anything go down on the concrete before laying the fake wood flooring on top?

Nope, provided is has the built in padding found in most higher quality LVP's.

Luxury Vinyl Plank

If you want more specific flooring information with nothing but experts (excluding myself as admin), I'd recommend you register onto our sister forum called:
www.flooringforum.com

Wow, I'd like to line my car with that!

I've wondered if wood or concrete would make any difference with our Chinese shoe soles.

Back