Concrete Flume Removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelsix

Reaction score
Hi - I have a very old concrete flume that runs along the edge of my 1930s home. It is unsightly and water puddles in it at times and I am hoping to remove it. Photos attached. I have had quotes to add a couple of catch basins and to connect downspouts to a buried pipe that will run to the curb. The fall to the street is very slight but I have been assured that they can create the fall to make it work. They will replace removed flume (and pavers seen in photos) with dirt and mulch.

Any risk I should consider?

Thanks

IMG_2988.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2986.jpeg
    IMG_2986.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
Does the water from the driveway flow away from the house? If it flows into your bedding there you might want to install a curb on the edge of the driveway to divert the water away from your house.

Does the water from the driveway flow away from the house? If it flows into your bedding there you might want to install a curb on the edge of the driveway to divert the water away from your house.
Thankfully it does from what I have observed.

I doubt the concrete is tied into your house, so I think the risks are slight. You might want to start by cutting a groove in a section from the bed to the house and then breaking it out. Use a concrete blade in a circular saw to make the cut. If it is poured up against the house and separate from the house you can break it up without fear. A easier way to break it up is to use a pick or a digging iron to raise up the slab so it isn't against the ground. Then a well place hit with a sledge hammer should break it up. So I'd start at one end and work my way down the line, lifting it up a bit, breaking it up and moving on. Having a little space below the concrete makes your sledge hammer blows more effective.

I doubt the concrete is tied into your house, so I think the risks are slight. You might want to start by cutting a groove in a section from the bed to the house and then breaking it out. Use a concrete blade in a circular saw to make the cut. If it is poured up against the house and separate from the house you can break it up without fear. A easier way to break it up is to use a pick or a digging iron to raise up the slab so it isn't against the ground. Then a well place hit with a sledge hammer should break it up. So I'd start at one end and work my way down the line, lifting it up a bit, breaking it up and moving on. Having a little space below the concrete makes your sledge hammer blows more effective.
Great. Thanks for the insight.

Back