Concrete layer in Crawl Space?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruisin*tigger

Reaction score
Forgive if this is the wrong forum, didn't really see one that matched. Please move if needed.

I am starting to have standing water in my crawl space. When looking to get estimates for repair, some companies state they will install a plastic barrier and then concrete. Some say they will only use barrier and that no concrete is needed. Which is the better way to go? Pros and cons?

I plan to be in the house for a long time, so obviously want the problem fixed, but don't want to pay for something that might not be needed.

TIA!

The barrier is enough assuming proper drainage under the plastic and drain tiles. If the floor is flat, and you have some headroom, concrete would be nice. If it is truly a "crawlspace" I'm not sure I'd go through the added expense of a concrete floor. If you have 5+ feet of headroom and a flat floor I might go for the concrete floor to allow storage. I'd also look at doing a conditioned crawlspace instead of one open to the environment. This involves sealing the crawlspace, insulating it (walls) and adding some HVAC into the space to keep the air dry.

Back