Concrete sub-floor and tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicpon

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm remodeling a kitchen in my apartment and I have concrete subfloor. I'd like to put tiles, but my dilemma is whether I should put anything below the tile.
There are two questions that maybe someone can help me with:
-I'd like this to be somewhat easy to remove after 10-15 years and I'm not sure how easy it would be if I lay the tile directly on the concrete. For example, there was tile there now, but it was on top of vinyl and that wasn't too bad to remove. I feel that I stick the tile directly to concrete it will be very hard to remove
-Second, the building requires me to have STC and impact insulation class minimum of 55. Is it the special tile that meets the requirements or I have to add sound attenuation underneath ?

Thanks

Hello...
If you have a slab, the tile can be adhered directly to the slab. However there is a product
Google
" Schluter Ditra 1/8" Underlayment "
This can be applied to the slab with an adhesive and then the tile is cemented to the underlayment. If you need to pull up the tile floor, you can pull it up a lot easier with the underlayment in place.
I have done it before and was a lot easier than i thought it would be.
As far as the STC ..... that is in reference to sound and how it travels. Check with the manufacturer for specs. The building may have rules for tile floor installation. Usually an absorbant underlayment is used to eliminate noise travel like a cork board or rugs. Not sure how it works with tile. You may want to ask around to see if other residents have tile floors. Maybe they have some up to date info

http://generalcontractorsbergencountynewjers.blogspot.com/

Back