Condenser fan won't shut off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jozart88

Reaction score
Hi, for the past 2 days we have turn off all the thermostats but yet the machine inside keeps running but the outside box isnt running please tell me how to fix this someone told me it was the condenser fan i dont know if that is true

For starters, lets get some terminology down. The inside unit is sometimes referred to as the 'air handler' and the outside unit is commonly referred to as the compressor/condenser.
In either case, there should be a switch mounted on the side of the air handler that should shut both units off, assuming there are no issues.
Assuming your saying the air handler won't shut off; shut this switch off and then look for a relay/contactor inside the air handler and see if it is stuck closed. If it is stuck, replace it. If you don't have a relay, then troubleshooting becomes a little more involved. I would disconnect the red thermostat wire and see if that changes anything, otherwise you might be looking at a bad circuit board.

I'm only a handyman from the midwest, but in a "central heat/ac" setup, the a/c component inside is the condenser and the outside unit the compressor. I myself would take a look at the thermostat first to make sure it's working correctly. If it's a fairly new (0-15 years) there will probably be a light that will blink a "code" if there's a problem.

Hi, for the past 2 days we have turn off all the thermostats but yet the machine inside keeps running but the outside box isnt running please tell me how to fix this someone told me it was the condenser fan i dont know if that is true

If the indooe fan does not shut off , has some one inadvertently switched the fan control on the tstat to " On " , instead of automatic ?

Have you recently replaced or re-wired the tstat ?

Wyr
God bless

I had this exact same problem on my exterior combo heating/AC unit. Even with the theromstat shut off and the mode on "auto" the fan would randomly come on and off. Installed a new circuit board and that fixed it.

Back