Connecting natural gas lines

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by swimmer_spe, Dec 24, 2017.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Feb 21, 2018 #21

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I once hired a contractor, certified in gas lines, to run a black pipe gas line in my attic to a second fireplace I built. Once he left, I saw the flame was barely there, so I crawled up in the attic and saw he failed to thread one gas pipe at all. It was cross threaded at a 45 degree connection, with no coupling, and you could shove a pencil into the opening, leaking gas into my attic for about a month. I had to go up there and fix all of his work myself, and stopped his final payment and explained with all the pictures of his shoddy work, I begged him to take me to court. He never did.

maxdad118 likes this.
  2. Feb 21, 2018 #22

maxdad118

maxdad118

maxdad118

JOAMOS

Exactly my point, I know there are shoddy plumbers(not all) and I’d rather do it myself!

tuffy likes this.
  3. Feb 21, 2018 #23

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

:agree:Even tho i cant legally do my own gas lines. I do them on the weekends so i know there done right and the way i want them done.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. Feb 21, 2018 #24

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

I'm going to be installing my own gas lines for my new natural gas fireplace insert since the fire dept. destroyed my flue oh well i was going to do this any way.im going to use the yellow flex line probably 25-50 feet of it and some black iron fittings. Shut off valve. And some more stuff I'm sure. :usa:

5. Feb 22, 2018 #25

swimmer_spe

swimmer_spe

swimmer_spe

Exactly what I was told. It is not that I cannot, it is that I should not, or risk legal issues.