Connecting standard PVC to Sewer PVC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khansen46

Reaction score
We recently had some issues with our septic and drain lines. The person who built this house didn't install any clean-outs on the drain lines. We have been working with a plumber friend to get a couple installed and have most of the drains situated. Our friend has been unavailable for some time and I am a bit stumped on this last clean-out. The line is PVC sewer line, and I just learned that it doesn't connect straight up to standard (sch 40?) PVC. I tried using the rubber boot connectors, but the sewer PVC is rather flimsy and I can't get a good seal. The only T I can find for the clean-out is standard PVC, and I have no idea how to go about connecting it. I'm sure I'm missing something very fundamental, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

What did your friend the plumber suggest? Can you post a pic of the trouble spot?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get in touch with him for the last couple of weeks. I can most likely get a picture tomorrow. My main issue is that the outside diameter of the 4" sewer pipe is smaller than the outside diameter of the regular PVC and I haven't found any connectors to mate them together.

Here is a picture of the sewer pipe if it helps.

Attachments

• 20200103_142813.jpg
    20200103_142813.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 12
Generally, the exterior dimensions of PVC piping are standard and the variation exist on the interior, however you seem to have an anomaly that may be explained by the age of the existing sewer line.

There are fittings that should be able to address this, like these;http://www.lasco.net/mission-rubber-m-196, which are available at most hrdw. stores or plumbing supply houses.

Thanks Bud. I'll run up to Home Depot in the morning. Website says they have several.
I asked a couple of people at HD the other day about a way to make that connection and they just stared at me like I was speaking another language.
FWIW: I'm a computer geek. Repairs on our home is just a...hobby(?).

Thanks Bud. I'll run up to Home Depot in the morning. Website says they have several.
I asked a couple of people at HD the other day about a way to make that connection and they just stared at me like I was speaking another language.
FWIW: I'm a computer geek. Repairs on our home is just a...hobby(?).

I’m retired now and my new hobby is to go to HD and actually catch a person to help me let alone expect they know anything. I designed automation process and machinery my whole work life 43 years after a couple years of retirement I was bored and put in an application for HD as a kitchen designer. They said on the web page they had openings for two. I got an interview and was told oh no one can start at that job but I could work outside in the springtime selling plants and loading bags of bark for people. I asked the kid giving the interview will they teach me all the hiding places right away or do I find them on my own. :p

Good luck. If you have the part number you should be ok.

How about this Fernco?

Thanks Jeff. That is actually the one I tried. The issue is that the sewer pipe isn't very rigid and collapsed when I tightened them down and it leaks. On the bright(?) side there is another issue on that same line preventing us from using the guest bath so there is nothing to leak now.

I went to HD yesterday and found the one Bud suggested. Instead of being with the PVC fittings it was outside with the lawn drainage and landscaping stuff. Go figure! Anyway, I grabbed a couple of them and took them inside to verify they fit both pipes. I can now glue a section of regular PVC at each cut end and use the rubber boots to connect the T in the middle. I'll probably do it next weekend while I'm trying to fix the other issue (possible collapsed line farther upstream from this point).
Oh, the joys of home ownership!!

Back