contactor / compressor problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddigG

Reaction score
I have a problem where the compressor doesn't come on due to the contactor not engaging *sometimes*. It works 80% of the time. Most of the time I can push it in and it works; once in a while it won't stay engaged and I don't see the required 26v. What could cause this problem and how can I troubleshoot it?

I have some more info on this. If I short 24v to ground on the circuit board, it starts right up! I did this by accident and it came on. It works every time.

I have some more info on this. If I short 24v to ground on the circuit board, it starts right up! I did this by accident and it came on. It works every time.

Can you elaborate on what your shorting?
I would think that if you shorted to ground it would blow a fuse.:confused:

Hi, I have gone through your post. As you mentioned that your AC compressor isn't working properly then in this scenario you should contact to professional HVAC Contractors near you to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Thanks. I got help from another site than actually helps rather than just tell you to call a repairman. Feel free to delete my account as this site is clearly useless.

Thanks. I got help from another site than actually helps rather than just tell you to call a repairman. Feel free to delete my account as this site is clearly useless.
Glad you got it working. Although you do realize that you never replied to any of our questions/request in order for us to help you further?

Well , I personally would replace the contactor . They are not expensive .

Next , I would replace the Tstat wire to the condenser , if possible . And to the Tstat , if I could .

I would check all the control wire connections .

A photo of where you shorted the control circuit to ground would help , if you have gotten over your mad .

Wyr
God bless

Back