Contractor wants paid up front

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToeJoe

Reaction score
I have a few questions to ask:

A contractor wants paid up front before the work begins Reason behind this?

He does not Itemize reason behind this?

contractor does not have the Name of his Company on his trailer or truck reason behind this?

His does have a license, What is he hiding If he has a license?

Where can one go if he is not honest?

Knowing if you take him to Small Claims Court he does not have to report and this will cost you even if he does not show up.

There are so many dishonest people out there today you need to know what to do. Yes the answer is stay away from them. Sometimes that is easier said than done.

I was a victim of such a guy and he stays in business. He brakes things and does not tell you, and you find them later, He takes thinks and when you need them they are no where's to be found, when confronting him he does not know what you are talking about.

When looking at the BBB there is NO Report on the Company so how do you find information about the Contractor if he is honest?

He will take advantage of a dying person, just like my wife with ALS to get what he wants.
I look at it like this, it's all about him not the customer am I right or wrong?

Last edited:
He's not a contractor...NEVER pay more than a third before work begins and then pay as work progresses. Hold a percentage until the job is finished and you are happy.

In short, walk away.

Sometimes a job can go sideways with a good contractor but you never pay all upfront and never hire someone you are not comfortable with.
What kind of work do yiou need done?

Check with your local license board. Here in California it is illegal to ask for more than 10% up front and up to $1,000.

You can ask him for a copy of his license and general liability insurance along with work comp if he has any employees.

To me if he doesn't jump on getting you those things that is a red flag. It costs him nothing to have his insurance broker print out the form. Also make sure the form is dated within a few days of request.

Upstanding contractors have no problem with this.

It is also common to hold 10% retention from every billing until the job is done and you are satisfied. If you really don't trust him you can always get releases from any suppliers to prove they are paid in full before you pay retention.

As a contractor myself I don't ask for a dime until either the job is done or we do a monthly billing of work performed.

As for itemize, many contractors don't do it. I do and the reason is that there is no hiding anything in my part or yours. If you line item your quote than there is no grey area, if it is not a line item it is not included and we both know it. If you lump some it will just end up with an unhappy customer or contractor if things go south.

Here in California you do not have to advertise on your truck but if you do than it is required to have you license number on the door as well in two inch tall letters.

Any contractor trying to gain or grow a company will have their name on their equipment.

Last edited:
I feel that everything should be Itemize.

Yes I am moving on to get a Honest person one that cares about the customer and his reputation.

He doesn't itemize so he can do half of what you talked about and then say it wasn't included in the contract.

Get a new contractor. He is obviously not a professional.

I would think that after so long word get out and he would be losing business and would be forced out of business.

They come in cheaper than anyone else and sell a dream. They can make alot of money before they change the name of the company and move on.

There is also many more people that don't know him than those that do.

I used to work for a guy like that. He is on his fifth company now. After the first one I took off and went on my own. All his companies have been in the same small valley I work in. He is still making money.

He has also been doing this for 15 years now.

Just shows you can make a career out of swindling people. Me, I'll take the honest route.

I have a few questions to ask:

A contractor wants paid up front before the work begins Reason behind this?

contractor does not have the Name of his Company on his trailer or truck reason behind this?

His does have a license, What is he hiding If he has a license?

Where can one go if he is not honest?

Knowing if you take him to Small Claims Court he does not have to report and this will cost you even if he does not show up.

There are so many dishonest people out there today you need to know what to do. Yes the answer is stay away from them. Sometimes that is easier said than done.

I was a victim of such a guy and he stays in business. He brakes things and does not tell you, and you find them later, He takes thinks and when you need them they are no where's to be found, when confronting him he does not know what you are talking about.

When looking at the BBB there is NO Report on the Company so how do you find information about the Contractor if he is honest?

He will take advantage of a dying person, just like my wife with ALS to get what he wants.
I look at it like this, it's all about him not the customer am I right or wrong?

Tell him to take a hike. I went through that pain. Never!!!

I never fully itemized.
Main reason I'd spend hours looking over the job, taking measurements, getting material prices, writing the quote all on my own time, next guy shows up and they hand them my itemized quote and all he has to say is I'll do it $100.00 cheaper and he's done.
Then uses my quote to order materials.
By not fully itemizing I mean things like as an example;
Trex composite decking (insert color and what style) $2000.00 (but not the lengths, or total sq. footage).
Ceramic coated screws, $200.00, (but not how many)
Ect.
Want any more then that I'll put it in a contract and only hand that to you when you sign it and money passes hands.

I never fully itemized.
Main reason I'd spend hours looking over the job, taking measurements, getting material prices, writing the quote all on my own time, next guy shows up and they hand them my itemized quote and all he has to say is I'll do it $100.00 cheaper and he's done.
Then uses my quote to order materials.
By not fully itemizing I mean things like as an example;
Trex composite decking (insert color and what style) $2000.00 (but not the lengths, or total sq. footage).
Ceramic coated screws, $200.00, (but not how many)
Ect.
Want any more then that I'll put it in a contract and only hand that to you when you sign it and money passes hands.

I think we can all agree with this part Joe, but I do agree that the customer will be told I will not do on a quote.
It might read
I will do A, B, and C for a cost of the job @ x
I will look for other problems while I am working, like rot, or structual issues or bad wiring or plumbing but these items are not included in the price.
I am not responsible for extras caused by these issues including cost of permits or engineers or, or.

A lot of people may be scared off with those unknowns but that's fine because we come to an agreement before the job starts.

That is fine, but not using someone's quote to get the bid.

I feel tat I am fair and honest and I ask for the person doing the job to be the same.

Now I ask you if he is honest when he takes tools of your and brake beds and chairs that they stood on and they say they did not do it. On top of it they took 100 feet of wire of 12/2 with ground and 12/3 with ground, when it was in the basement and when they left it is NO longer there.

Who's fault is that?
They broke things and never told you about them and when I showed them they did not even to offer to pay for the damage.

just what do you do in this case?

like I said if they will do this to someone that has a person that has ALS or any other deadly sickness what will they do to someone that is OK?

That is fine, but not using someone's quote to get the bid.

I feel tat I am fair and honest and I ask for the person doing the job to be the same.

Now I ask you if he is honest when he takes tools of your and brake beds and chairs that they stood on and they say they did not do it. On top of it they took 100 feet of wire of 12/2 with ground and 12/3 with ground, when it was in the basement and when they left it is NO longer there.

Who's fault is that?
They broke things and never told you about them and when I showed them they did not even to offer to pay for the damage.

just what do you do in this case?

like I said if they will do this to someone that has a person that has ALS or any other deadly sickness what will they do to someone that is OK?

What ever they can get away with, you do have to do your homework and never pay up front so you can deduct for broken chairs at the end.

Yes It is sad when someone takes advantage of someone that is a caregiver of a sick person and they feel good about themselves.

But in the long run they will pay for it, if you know what I mean.

I always bid from a set of plans so I don't mind itemizing. Anyone that throws a bid out without doing there own takeoff is taking a chance. I am usually more thorough than most. I also only do commercial so things may be different.

Sorry you had to deal with a bad one.
There not all like that.
One of my guys accidently broke a fancy wire glass the customer had left on a counter top. I went out and bought them a whole new set of localy made hand painted wine glasses and made the guy who broke the glass fess up to the customer when they showed up.
The funny part is the lady said I'm glad he did brake it I was always breaking them, there just to thin.

Back