Corner shower enclosure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgarcia6445

Reaction score
Hello. We are looking to replace a corner shower. New rental property.
Looking at the enclosure kits that go onto the wallboard.

Previous owner had torn out the shower that was there.We initially removed the greenboard that was remaining one the walls and found that on the left hand wall (facing the corner) the the wall is a concrete basement wall and the other side is a stud wall. The concrete wall has furring strips with masonry screw into them through kyvek sheets). The greenboard is attached to these strips.
The stud wall is traditional. This left the predicament of the drain being not symmetrical from one side to the other when one tries to attach a shower base to the studs as one wall is furring strips and one studs.

The old one was obviously attached to the greenboard.

So we wanted to replicate but we are finding that the drain measures 11+" from the greenboard to drain center and this doesn't match the 12" we are seeing from the enclosure kits that attach to the greenboard.
We have not purchased a kit yet. I wanted to know it the tolerances for the drain location are forgiving or is ther ea need to find a base that will match perfectly.
Thanks!

You can maybe make the adjustment below the floor with offsetting the piping and re-configuring it in some ways.

I’ll look into how fin adjustments I can do. I’m 1” off in one direction and 1/2 in another
post a pic of what is in the floor if you can and what direction you have to move it.

Usually there is a hole in the concrete around that drain so you can change the location.
Depending on the lit you speak of, If it is a plastic base you have to adjust something to fit.
Are you tiling the wall?

Back