Correct Legs for Old Workbench Top

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I rescued the workbench top in the photos from an alley in Chicago after seeing it on Craigslist for free. I scrubbed it down with soapy water and hosed it off before the weather got cold. It is now on top of another workbench in my dry basement.

There were no legs or supports with it. It is 7' long by 2' deep. The previous owner just put it on some big barrels. There are no consistent holes, marks, etc. to show where any kind of support system was. There is a sturdy hook on the bottom and I wonder what that might have been for.

I have looked at quite a few pictures and gotten some ideas of what might be "correct". I thought it might be interesting to see what more knowledgeable folks than I have to say. Comments are very welcome!

Vince

Attachments

• Old Wood Workbench 2.jpg
    Old Wood Workbench 2.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bench top in car.jpg
    bench top in car.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Corner vise.jpg
    Corner vise.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Vise Bottom.jpg
    Vise Bottom.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Bench Bottom with hook.jpg
    Bench Bottom with hook.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 0
Nice find. All that I have used had just a no frills base made with square stock.

Here is a video that shows how they are used. I would build a stand from 4x4.

Its a woodworking bench. With an end vise. The square holes allow you to put pegs in there to clamp longer pieces of wood.

You can make a support frame from 2x4's or 4x4's

Thanks for the comments and the link to the awesome site!

The reason I asked about the legs or support frame is because as I looked over the underside of the bench I didn't see any drill/screw holes or anything that looked like a frame or supports had ever been attached. I have another woodworker's bench with bench dogs and a big leg vise and it has a frame, which this bench doesn't
seem to have ever had.

Welcome @1victorianfarmhouse Great to have YOU here with us...There are GREAT people here who come to a lot of ideas to help YOU out...

Sounds like you can finish the bench the way you want, or duplicate it to the other bench... You'll have to let us know how it fares... and show some pictures...
Cheers~

Thanks for the comments and the link to the awesome site!

The reason I asked about the legs or support frame is because as I looked over the underside of the bench I didn't see any drill/screw holes or anything that looked like a frame or supports had ever been attached. I have another woodworker's bench with bench dogs and a big leg vise and it has a frame, which this bench doesn't
seem to have ever had.
I was just ready to offer that no one was addressing the original question of 'connection'. I guess it worked for the original owner with just it's weight holding it in place. It makes one wonder if it was a DIY and just never finished or if the legs were used for something else.

There used to be a company in TN that advertised (in Fine Woodworking) a reasonably priced bench made of 'truck bed' oak. I wanted to get it and shorten the legs to repurpose it as a coffee table for the den but my wife never quite caught the vision. I thought the vise would come in handy in some of her projects such as me holding the end of a length of yarn as she untangled and wound it into a ball. At present I could use it to hold a mount for my small Snellen chart at the prescribed six foot distance for a DIY refractory test. If the opportunity still existed I would purchase one, do the mod, give it a 'vintage' finish it and offer it for sale at a tailgate market or similar venue.

Welcome @1victorianfarmhouse Great to have YOU here with us...There are GREAT people here who come to a lot of ideas to help YOU out...

Sounds like you can finish the bench the way you want, or duplicate it to the other bench... You'll have to let us know how it fares... and show some pictures...
Cheers~
Thanks, Redneck! I've actually been on HRT for several years, but this is the first time I've ever posted anything in this forum. I've gotten a LOT of great info and advice on other issues from HRT.

This morning a work table showed up on Craigslist for free not far from me. I forget the exact dimensions, but think it's about 48 inches wide by about 40 deep (workbench top is about 7' wide by 2' deep). Looked pretty solid with 6x6 uprights (or maybe 6x4 in back), so I went and grabbed it with some help loading it onto the roof of my car from the owner/builder. Getting it off the roof and rolling into the yard was much easier, as the picture shows. It's currently hiding in my walkout basement stairway. Not the neatest, but close by and free. I'll make it work as I prefer to reuse and/or improve someone else's decent work rather than let it become firewood. Thanks again! Vince

Attachments

• Workbench Unloading.jpg
    Workbench Unloading.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 0
Back